Christopher's Reviews > Mouse Guard: Winter 1152

Mouse Guard by David Petersen

Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: fiction, graphic-novel-comic, read-to-may
Read in September, 2010

As a special reward for May, we bought her the second Mouse Guard. I was a little frustrated to learn a) it hasn't come out in soft-cover yet and b) Volume 3 iss only barely beginning to come out in issues!

My daughter is obsessed. She is going to dress as Gwendolyn for Halloween this year. Her drawing quality took a giant leap when she started drawing guardsmice. She writes her own comics (2-3 panels of mice facing off aginst bullfrogs and the like).

This volume doesn't have quite the epic-span feel of the first volume, and does well because of it. The characters are more deeply drawn, both in personality and in increasing details in dress and equipment. Occasionally the settings show a bit too much of their inspirational source - I swear one of the backgrounds of the arches in Darkheather is lifted straight from a picture of the graet mosque in Cordoba. Even so, Darkheather is a damned good stand-in for Tolkien's Moria.

The larger plot, of addressing Midnight's critique of the Mouse Territories' governing structure is a great way to fill-in the back-story to the rebellion that drove the first book. It is a good thing when a second volume makes a first volume better (George Lucas take note).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mouse Guard.