Jeanne's Reviews > Hatchet

Sep 23, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: jeanne-and-corky-s-2011-list, juvenile
Read from May 02 to 03, 2011

13-year-old Brian Robeson has led a pretty easy life. Well, until he discovered the Secret. The Secret is the reason for his parents’ divorce, and it has been eating away at Brian since its discovery.

But there’s no time to wallow about the Secret because Brian has a bigger problem. A much bigger problem. On his way to visit his father for the summer, the tiny plane in which Brian is riding suddenly crashes.

Alone in the Canadian wilderness, Brian experiences independence for the first time. He is forced to solve problems. He is forced to survive.

Can this immature boy rise to the occasion? Will he be able to overcome the burden of the Secret?

All will be revealed in less than 200 pages. Thank goodness! I couldn’t read any more pages than that. The writing is very repetitive, the protagonist is not particularly appealing, and the story seems to be just a bit far-fetched.

On the plus side, it reminds me of a book I read back in the sixth grade, My Side of the Mountain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hatchet.

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Ha! I remembering loving this as a kid, but just recently talked to a friend who reread it as an adult and hated it. Guess I'll hang on to the memory. Curious though, why did you dislike?

Jeanne The writing is very repetitive, which annoyed me. And I wasn't really crazy about the protagonist.

Back in the day, we read My Side of the Mountain, which I liked.