Marvin's Reviews > The Next Queen of Heaven

The Next Queen of Heaven by Gregory Maguire

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: religion
Read in February, 2012

Maguire finally abandons his sequels to the wildly successful Wicked--and I, for one, am glad he did. I enjoyed Wicked but thought the sequels failed to live up to that standard. He didn't exactly find a new or entirely appropriate tone for this different story--elements of clever cuteness appear at unnecessary and inappropriate times--but the two intersecting stories held my interest, and much of it was affecting and more intelligent than the tone might suggest, with some fairly sophisticated treatment of religion--even of the Pentecostal church and pastor, despite the silly name he gives the church. There's sensitive treatment of the gay church musician (at the neighboring Roman Catholic church), and the 17-year-old girl in the other story shows remarkable and believable growth over the course of the story. The novel has much to recommend it despite some flaws. And the audio version I listened to would have benefited from a different, male voice reading the sections focusing on the gay male characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Queen of Heaven.