Taylor's Reviews > Sex, Time, and Power: How Women's Sexuality Shaped Human Evolution

Sex, Time, and Power by Leonard Shlain

Nov 18, 09

bookshelves: historical, non-fiction, society-and-culture
Read in November, 2009

Fascinating. First, let me admit the fact that I got the abridged audio version of this book. Leonard Shlain is such a wonderfully pedantic writer, that I knew in advance (from reading "The Alphabet Vs. The Goddess) that I would read 2/3 of this book and lose my steam. Then I would forever mean to pick it up again and regret that I hadn't finished it. So, abridged audio was perfect.

I will let other people, more eloquent than myself, elaborate on the details in Shlain's text, his suppositions, and hypotheses. I feel, at this time, that it is enough to say that anyone with more than a passing interest in topics such as "the battle between the sexes", reproduction, human evolution, human sexuality, the creation of culture, and similar topics would thoroughly enjoy this book - as long as you also are a fan of big words.

Though it took me a long time, start to finish, I listened with delight and curiosity. Shlain gave me lots to ponder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex, Time, and Power.