Gregory Soderberg's Reviews > The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community

The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter

Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: culture, ministry, missions, practical-theology, theology
Read in September, 2010

A MUST READ BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I don't agree with Halter and Smay at times (I think they go to far in trying to connect with our rebellious and anti-Christian culture), their project is worth serious study and consideration. They argue (and their own ministry has proven) that every church should be "missional." It is the difference between being and inward-looking and an outward-looking church. We should not just try and attract people to our churches--we need to go out into our communities and bring in the harvest!

Most of my disagreements lie in the area of culture. Halter and Smay show that we need to engage the culture in order. I would argue, further, that we need to create a Christian counter-culture. We don't just want to meet people where they are (though that is necessary). We need to create an alternative to a culture which is increasingly hostile to God. And I don't mean a cheezy Christian culture which simply imitates everything in pop culture, but then slaps a Bible verse on it. We need to redeem every area of culture. For instance, Halter brews beer in his basement. That's the sort of thing we should do more of! More Christian breweries, and fewer sappy Christian bookstores :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tangible Kingdom.