Julia's Reviews > Nobel Genes

Nobel Genes by Rune Michaels

Sep 23, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: families, illness-mental, appropriate-for-middle-school, appropriate-for-high-school, realistic-fiction, mystery
Read in October, 2010

This was an odd mix of 90 percent realistic fiction with a weird dream communication fantasy element at the end of the book. In general I liked this because it was a frank look at how a child living alone with a parent who has an addiction & mental illness. It wasn't overly frightening or graphic, but it did show the anxiety of the situation well.

However the shared dreams element that comes in at the end is disturbing on multiple levels. The boy who is the main character believes they are really true (which is unconfirmable given the plot at this point). The story seems to imply they are true, but no real evidence is provided. The story ends at a point where we as readers either have to believe the shared dreams were real & the information gleaned from them are true or we must believe that the boy is creating a (very uncomforting) delusion for himself. I think the book would have been served to spell out which truth it wanted to communicate & also have backed it up with evidence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobel Genes.