Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Sep 23, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: ya-fantasy

If you've read my reviews of the other books in this series then you know of my disappointment with it. I suppose if you could hear me I'd open my review of this addition to the series this way....

sigh.

In one of the reviews I read of one of the volumes in this series by someone who gave it 5 stars the reviewer opened by observing that they knew little about Greek myth...but like the story.

Okay, I'll try to take "that attitude". Allow me though first to add a but....But, if a book or series of books is supposedly "based on" a mythological system I would think that as in a book or series based on a historical era there should be a basic continuity between the books fiction and whatever it's based on.

sigh.

The book here follows Percy and his friend into the Labyrinth, which has grown over the centuries seemingly to reach about everywhere, to try and prevent Kronos from using it to invade Camp Halfblood.

Percy is still a bit thick, especially about Annabeth and Rachel. In the midst of the adventure we get the apparently obligatory politically correct lecture (Rachel's father being a land developer and of course ALL land developers are evil). Yes, that's what we need in our juvenile literature, more heavy handed indoctrination... Then having had our values "readjusted" we can move on to the climax of the story.

I suppose setting aside all the things that bother me here I can see why children like this, there is plenty of action and adventure, some laughs, etc. So, with the caveat that I'd read it with my kids to see what they're taking away with them, I give this one 3 stars...with some reservations.

sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.

Mike (the Paladin) Well, I went back over this and found an incorrect word usage (I'd put "here" instead of "hear"...) and a couple of typos. I really need to slow down.

message 2: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Ok, I see where you are comming from. My opinion- I love the series.

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Sigelakis-Minski I am a little confused on a part of your review... are you saying that the only time a book should be written about a mythological system, it has to be written in the time period that the system took place, i.e, Greek mythology should only take place in ancient Greece? If that was the case a whole bunch of amazing fiction/fantasy books would never have been written.

Mike (the Paladin) No. I'm not saying anything about when a book or how a book "should be" written. I'm saying that the book bugs "me", personally. I'm looking at it as a YA book and were my kids still young I'd want to be sure that they didn't come away from the books with a skewed view of mythology.

I'm reviewing the book as how it struck me and what I think about it. Others are free to think and feel about the book as they will. People who have agreed with me before or disagreed with me before may find that helpful in deciding what they will think of the book.

As for "should" I believe a person "should" be and is to write any book they please. They can write a book placing Zeus at a dinner party Odin and Ronald MacDonald if they want. I would say to parents be sure that your kids know that this isn't actual mythology, but a writer is free to write anything he or she pleases.

And I'm free to like or dislike it, to purchase it or not.

These books annoyed me. They still do. If you like them enjoy.

Jonathan And, could somebody please explain to Rick Riordan that a "labyrinth" and a "maze" are not the same thing. And while your at it could you also please explain to him that goats don't really eat tin cans. Though I suppose if you get your facts about animals from old cartoons...and possibly your knowledge of ancient civilizations also, you can be misled.

I always saw it as that he was playing on the kid's humour of goats eating metal. Also what is the difference between a labyrinth and a maze since every definition of 'labyrinth' I've read ends up saying 'maze' in there at some point.

Greek mythology in general lacks so much continuity. I'm always astonished how many Greek myths I've read that had minor details and so on that conflicted because different variations were made or so on.

Still good explanatory review and I get that the series frustrates? you personally. I've read many series like that that annoy me but others love.

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly You do understand much of this is for kids to understand you boring adult doesn't have to ruin it. it is supposed to have humor for kids. The main thing is that it is greek mythology in the modern world obviously things will have to change everything changes as it moves. you try to move to rome or greece and tell me if your changed ok?

Mike (the Paladin) ...yes I get it, I'm a big dumb meany.

Nancy Peterson I've always been curious about something when people give a negative review of a book in a series. As you seem more level headed than others I've come across, I'm asking you. This is the 4th book, if you don't like the series, why are you still reading it? Not an attack, I'm just curious.

Mike (the Paladin) I got these in audio and was listening to them when I wasn't able to actually "read". They came into the library (on disc) in "groups" and I went ahead and listened to them. I must admit I hoped all along that they'd get better.

I suppose after I'd been through the first few I felt a little trapped and wanted to finish the series LOL.

There are (especially early on) a few moments that gave me hope for the series, but mostly I just found myself getting more and more annoyed. Yes I finished the series, but you'll notice I haven't read anything else by Mr. Riordan. I don't plan to. I guess you'd say I wanted to get through this series but learned my lesson. LOL.

Nancy Peterson Well that makes sense, thanks for the answer.

Mike (the Paladin) Others have asked more or less the same thing, "why did you keep going?" My daughter even commented on it as she didn't care for the audios either (she was often in the next room, LOL).

I've sort of had this a couple of times in other series I finished even though I didn't really like the books.

message 13: by Jacky (new) - added it

Jacky Your review brings good points, but "me" personally when I read this series I did not go into it thinking it 1. Was based on accurate history and 2. That I would learn something from it. It was a fantasy book to go to when real life was stressful. With all this being said, I agree that the author should have done more research and should know the difference between a labyrinth and a maze. :)
Thank you for the review!

Mike (the Paladin) I've said before it's a matter of taste (and I never said it was supposed to be accurate history, just that the way he fractures the myths bugs me).

message 15: by Jacky (new) - added it

Jacky I completely understand :)

Mike (the Paladin) It's cool. You can see I've heard from people who like the books, LOL.

Monique You raise many of the same concerns I've been having with the series. Thank your for honest review. I see no reason why you should be criticized for having a rating of less than five stars. If certain commenters understood how ratings worked they would see you have given the book an 'average' rating. I feel this is fair. The series is not brilliant or inspired, but it is fun and I can see why some really enjoy it. Three stars is a very fair rating.

Mike (the Paladin) I've noted before that I understand others like these books better than I. Also, I had the entire series in audio out of our public library. Possibly the reader added to my more negative impression...

Anyway, we all get different things from different books.