Kevin's Reviews > Superman for All Seasons

Superman for All Seasons by Jeph Loeb

Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels

Disappointing (after friend Simon's glowing review). The drama never went very deep, and the central conflict (Superman's loneliness?) was a bit whiny. I feel like it was moving in the right direction in terms of characterizing Lex Luthor as a Darwinian capitalist, but even this didn't get the exploration necessary to make it worthwhile. I'm coming off a kick of reading Frank Miller Batman stories, so maybe that's why this seemed so innocent to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman for All Seasons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Simon Friedman Hopefully this wasn't just because I badmouthed Catch 22. I kid. But I think my love of it stems from the art and tone. I also read it while listening to the score for Superman Returns which I think added to the mood (one of the only solid parts of the movie, although I actually liked Routh as well). Perhaps it is because of my soft sappy insides, but the majestic two page spreads and character narration just get me.

And it isn't just Frank Miller. Batman and Superman are just altogether different beasts (and I love both) who need to be handled in different ways. Which brings me to the other aspect of SAS that I love; the fact that Luthor's attack on Superman is clever and psychological rather than the authors pulling the ol kryptonite trick for the umpteenth time.

Kevin Yes, it is because you badmouthed Catch 22. Never again . . .