Marty Shaw's Reviews > Vampyre Kisses

Vampyre Kisses by Elizabeth J. Kolodziej

Sep 23, 10

Read in August, 2010

Vampyre Kisses took me by surprise. I was expecting the typical tale of forbidden love between a mortal and a vampire (Thanks a whole lot, Twilight, for bringing that flood upon us). What I actually got was an in-depth story with detailed characters and a rich history; a world filled with vampires, werewolves, gods, slayers...and a witch. That's right, one witch. Witches have been eliminated but families live on, and the power is in the bloodline. If certain circumstances unfold in just the right way (like a female child being born to the right family), what once was could be again.

I was intrigued by the importance given to family and bloodlines. Lineage determines witches, slayers, and guardians. It was a very interesting concept that made a whole lot of sense. Another interesting concept was the history of vampires. Their creation is explained in a brand new way, along with introducing a new twist on daywalkers and why vampires can't tolerate sunlight.

The book has an interesting format, where each chapter is from the viewpoint of a different character. I usually hate this set-up because it's hard to keep any mystery or suspense going when you can see the thoughts of more than just one character. It turns out to not be a problem, though, because Mrs. Kolodziej does a great job of dangling just enough info to tease you, without giving away too much. The result is a fascinating page-turner that will keep you wanting more.

I think Vampyre Kisses is a great read, and should be read by anyone who enjoys paranormal fantasy/urban fiction and wants to explore territory that remains, for the most part, untouched by other books in the genre.I just hope that a Book Two will be on the horizon.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampyre Kisses.