Elise's Reviews > The Death of King Arthur

The Death of King Arthur by Unknown

Jan 03, 11

Read from January 02 to 03, 2011

'I shall quite certainly fight him,' said the king, 'even if I have to die as a result, because I should be a coward if I did not defend my land against a traitor.'

This book should of been called "The story of Lancelot, oh and King Arthur is there as well" because even when the book says it is moving on to tell a story about King Arthur or Sir Gawaine or Mordred it is always about Lancelot.

This book was originally in French and is from the thirteenth-century so I was extremely excited to read such an old version of the Arthurian legend. The book starts out after the Quest for the Holy Grail and immediately jumps into the talk of Lancelot and Queen Gueneveres adulterous betrayl. Boring, boring, boring.

I had expected so much more from this book considering it led me to believe it was about Arthur and not Lancelot. The lack of Morgan and Merlin really bothered me and the way the story would jump around was rather annoying.

I did enjoy the moments we got with Sir Gawain, because he is without a doubt the best Knight from Arthurian legend. A quote I really liked was in the first few pages:

'My Lord,' said Sir Gawain, 'you obviously wish to be certain of my great misfortune, and I shall tell you, because I see that I must. I can tell you in truth that I killed eighteen by my own hand, not because I was a better knight than any of the others, but since misfortune affected me more than any of my companions. Indeed, it did not come about through my chivalry, but through my sin. You have made me reveal my shame.'

Gawain's death was sad and made me cry so much and I thought I would cry reading Arthurs, but it was so boring and not at all climactic! It should of been the high point of the book, but instead it isn't
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of King Arthur.

01/03/2011 page 23
01/03/2011 page 54
23.0% "I wish this book would be more about Arthur and less about Lancelot!"
show 1 hidden update…