Nicola's Reviews > Tabloid Girl

Tabloid Girl by Sharon Marshall

Sep 23, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: memoir-and-autobiography, non-fiction

I tore through Tabloid Girl at speed, and reading it certainly made a nice break from a glum, academic book I’d been plodding through at the same time. Sharon Marshall’s memoir of life as a tabloid journalist is undoubtedly amusing, giving great insight into the bonkers world of working for a red-top newspaper, but it also leaves a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

There are no two ways about it: tabloids are grimy, and even an irreverent look at the tabloid newsroom still makes the reader feel… grimy. It doesn’t help that Marshall splices in stories about her crap love life alongside her journalistic adventures. I think she fancies herself as a real-life Bridget Jones, but I found the stories more depressing than funny. I just kept thinking: why do you hate yourself so much just because you don’t have a boyfriend?

I love reading books about other people’s jobs, and the parts of this book that concerned life on Fleet Street fitted the bill nicely. The drunken cavorting, however… eh, I could have done without it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tabloid Girl.