Lisa's Reviews > Incarceron

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

820737
Aug 14, 11

Read in September, 2010

I wish I could give half-stars, because this is really 3 1/2.

I thought the ideas in this book were rich and innovative, and the plot twists near the end were what made me round the rating up to 4 stars instead of rounding down. I definitely want to read the sequel to find out where this story goes. (Update: I recently moved my rating down to 3 stars because as time has gone by I stopped caring about reading the sequel! Just didn't resonate with me, I guess.)

The big negative for me was that this author loves trying to make her writing sound pretty, and in doing that she leaves too many details out to the point where I was like, "What the heck is going on?" Especially in a fantasy where everything is made-up, I could have used a little more meat and potatoes in the descriptions (and that's coming from a "less descriptions, more dialogue" sort of girl). Also, this author apparently likes to write poetry, which makes sense because there are some parts that are cheesier than my kid's dairy drawer in the fridge. Not that the plot itself is cheesy, just the way she structures her sentences.

Oh, and she is a heavy user of the "B" word. Maybe that's not considered a bad word in England? 'Cause I think this author's British.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.