Jeanette 's Reviews > On Chesil Beach

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

Well, that was about the biggest helping of blues porridge I've eaten in a long time.

I don't normally like Ian McEwan much, but this one had all the right elements. I especially liked the way he went back into their early lives to show how they were almost doomed to fail at communication and intimacy.
I have to add that I also found a delightful bit of humor early in the book, when Florence was all worked up in her mind about "penetration" and "entering." I was giggling at her silly obsession with the mechanics of sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Chesil Beach.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie McEwan's writing was so exquisite here- it knocked me flat. I don't know why I withheld a star- maybe the depressing read factor...

message 2: by Jeanette (last edited Jan 24, 2011 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanette Julie wrote: "McEwan's writing was so exquisite here- it knocked me flat."

I absolutely agree, Julie, which is a huge change coming from me.

message 3: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne "Blues porridge." Never heard that phrase, but love it. :)

Jeanette Anne wrote: ""Blues porridge." Never heard that phrase, but love it. :)"

Thanks, Anne. It's not often I come up with something that's truly my own, but that one was a Netterooski original. :-)

message 5: by Anne (new) - added it