Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > On Chesil Beach

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

Sep 22, 2010

bookshelves: all-fiction, europe-and-british-isles, four-star-fiction, domestic-and-relationship-fiction
Read in September, 2010

Well, that was about the biggest helping of blues porridge I've eaten in a long time.

I don't normally like Ian McEwan much, but this one had all the right elements. I especially liked the way he went back into their early lives to show how they were almost doomed to fail at communication and intimacy.
I have to add that I also found a delightful bit of humor early in the book, when Florence was all worked up in her mind about "penetration" and "entering." I was giggling at her silly obsession with the mechanics of sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Chesil Beach.

Julie McEwan's writing was so exquisite here- it knocked me flat. I don't know why I withheld a star- maybe the depressing read factor...

message 2: by Jeanette (last edited Jan 24, 2011 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Julie wrote: "McEwan's writing was so exquisite here- it knocked me flat."

I absolutely agree, Julie, which is a huge change coming from me.

message 3: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne "Blues porridge." Never heard that phrase, but love it. :)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Anne wrote: ""Blues porridge." Never heard that phrase, but love it. :)"

Thanks, Anne. It's not often I come up with something that's truly my own, but that one was a Netterooski original. :-)

message 5: by Anne (new) - added it