Trishnyc's Reviews > Adam & Eve

Adam & Eve by Sena Jeter Naslund

Sep 22, 10

In 2017, Lucy Bergmann is walking to meet her husband for lunch when right before her, a piano that was being hoisted up a window falls and kills him. She is traumatized and floats around in grief for about three years. In 2020 she is invited to speak at an event honoring her husband and while on this trip she meets a scientist who was also acquainted with her husband. He asks her to transport a scroll that is of great importance to the world because its revelations will forever alter the three major monotheistic religions forever. For some mysterious reason, Lucy agrees and pilots a plane from Egypt to Paris. Unfortunately, her plane goes down somewhere in the Mesopotamian forest and here she meets a naked man (drop dead gorgeous of course) who is also marooned in the same forest. This gorgeous naked man is named Adam and they set up their version of the garden of Eden. Yep...you read that right, its Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. And just as they are getting comfortable in their home, they find themselves running from killers who want to destroy the scroll that Lucy had set out to deliver.

I am not even sure what happened here. I was really excited to read this book but even a day later, I am still in disbelief as to how much this book fell through. The characters are caricatures of real people running around spouting theological tenets that feel more like the author staging her ideas. In addition to all of this, the book is not sure what it is. Is it an anti religious tract, thriller, romance, or all of these and more? Personally I could not tell you because even after 335 pages, I was left with little in the way of insight. I guess it was all some great metaphor that I did not get.

*Review Copy provided by Harper Collins publishers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adam & Eve.