Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Married With Zombies

Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: death-reapers-zombies, laugh-out-loud, romance, 1st-in-series, library-books, read-in-2011, series-abandoned, authors-i-respect, i-heart-the-cover-art
Recommended for: NOT for zombie fans
Read from December 01 to 02, 2011

Dear god, what have I read?! Horrific. Superficial Too Stupid To Live characters I don't care about, stumbling around blindly asking to be eaten.

Comedy

Having loved the show Married with Children I impulsively decided I would love this too. However, I'm wondering now whether "zombies" and "comedy" can ever be a good mix in the post-Carry On world, and in the absence of Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead totally pulls off the ZomRomCom). And perhaps with this book by marketing it as a comedy excuses the wafer-thin characters, the TSTL behaviour (e.g. checking out a potentially zombie-infested casino for the hell of it) and inappropriately timed arguments (while zombies are bearing down on you) about nothing in particular.

Romance

Um, where exactly was the romance? We meet Sarah and David on the brink of divorce as they attend their regularly scheduled marriage counseling appointment. David's demise from having a promising future to being an unemployed deadbeat husband and all-round slacker and Sarah's exhausted from having to work 6 days a week leads her to constantly criticise him and picking fights at every given opportunity, leaving them both deeply unhappy and wanting out of their marriage. Counselling wasn't helping until...they killed their therapist. After that they work together to kill (directly and indirectly) almost every human they come into contact with regardless of whether they happen to be infected. In doing this they come to see each other's positive attributes i.e. bravely killing everything in sight, appearing as heroes in each other's eyes. So again, where was the romance? One off-stage sex scene and...I can't remember if they ever kissed. Not good.

Zombies

Were pretty cool actually. From bite to brain-eating, the incubation period is 10-25 minutes. Red eyes, strangely happy facial expressions, faster than the average human and the ability to continue simple repetitive actions, describe these zombies. Although there is the requisite gory imagery e.g. a legless undead dragging itself along the ground carrying a baby in it's mouth, it never truly hits home, the gut-wrenching horror of it all.

I hold Rhiannon Frater's As the World Dies trilogy up as the epitome of all things zombie and while reading it I laughed, I cried and I added guns to my wishlist. That was terrifying but there was humour, too. A good balance. MWZ focuses too much on the humour and whilst funny, sometimes it was grossly overused and forced, at the detriment of the characters' intelligence and the graveness of the situation. It's the same with the swearing, I'm not opposed to the well-timed f-word when the world is going to hell and you could die at any moment but it shouldn't be repetitive.

After ogling this book for a while I'm disappointed it didn't live up to my expectations. I could've DNF'd at any point, my lack of affection for the couple left me uninterested in whether they lived or died but obviously they were never in any danger considering it's part of a series.

If you have some time to waste...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Married With Zombies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} I keep trying to buy this from The Book Depository but it seems I'm not fast enough to grab a copy before it goes out of stock again after receiving an email notification. It must be popular!

message 2: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Oh, that's too bad.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy So now you know why it's so popular, right? (or am I more confused than I realize?)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} @Wendy: Did you ever finish reading The First Days?

@Andy: I figured it out. I wasn't grabbing it because it was never in stock. The email notifications were lies. I was checking as soon as I received them. I finally got it from the library.

message 5: by Becky (last edited Aug 10, 2012 08:15PM) (new)

Becky Alrighty... well, you just saved me some irritation. Audible is having a BOGO sale and I was thinking about getting this one as my freebie. Not anymore!

On the other hand, you're like the 5,862,075th person I've seen raving about these Rhiannon Frater books... I'm thinking I need to check those out. :D

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} :D RF's books are awesome and she is, too.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky Amy or "Ames" wrote: ":D RF's books are awesome and she is, too."

Thanks for that. :)