Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > Another Pan

Another Pan by Daniel Nayeri

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: own-arcs
Read in September, 2010

Another Pan follows the story of Wendy Darling, a bright, charismatic teen and her younger brother, a boy genius named John. The two attend the ritzy Marlowe School in New York, but they're the poorest of the students, as their father is simply the professor of ancient civilizations. Wendy dates her way up the social ladder, but both she and John seem to find their lives at the posh school lacking. When they happen upon the mysterious BOOK OF GATES, Wendy and John, along with the attractive new advisor Peter, find themselves spinning into the world of Peter Pan.

Another Pan is the second book in the "Another" series by authors Daniel and Dina Nayeri. Blending the age-old tale of Peter Pan with a mix of Egyptian curses, long-lost secrets, and the mysteries surrounding the mysterious and attractive RA, Peter, Another Pan is alive with detail and intrigue. The all-too-familiar Lost Boys come into play as well, ready and willing to do the childish and youth-seeking Peter's bidding. An interesting twist on the classic tale for you - when Peter would get upset, the Lost Boys would combine their happy thoughts and text them to Peter, giving him extended happiness and comfort.

Another Pan is a very character-driven novel, but it's perfectly balanced with a fast-paced plot and strong descriptiveness that lets you delve into the deep mysteries of Egyptian curses and the world of Pan. I loved that the Wendy Darling of Another Pan wasn't a meek little ninny...she had spine, and backbone, and plenty of personality. Her brother, John, however, annoyed the heck out of me with his obnoxious remarks and sullen demeanor. Frankly, he was my least favourite character. The real strength of the story, however, lies in the beautiful interpretation of the relationship between Wendy and Peter. She might just be his true happiness.

I give Another Pan a solid 4 out of 5, simply because the beginning was, again, a bit slow for my liking. That said, I would recommend this to YA fans, those who love the classic tale of Peter Pan, and for fans of mystery. This book releases on October 26, 2010, though I'm pretty sure it's already for sale on amazon. If you would like, follow the link to read my review of the first book in the series, Another Faust.

I received this advanced reader's copy free of charge from the publisher, Candlewick Press, in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Pan.