Megan's Reviews > The Hanging Gardens of Split Rock: Stories

F_50x66
Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, short-stories
Read from October 06 to 07, 2010

I think this was a pretty decent anthology of short stories. It made me think of the peices I went through for high school speech competions. Short stories normally isn't my thing because they are kind of choppy and can make a reader get whip lash but I was impressed. I was brought in by each story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hanging Gardens of Split Rock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Thanks for the feedback, Megan. I know what you mean about the whiplash feeling that typically accompanies short stories. Glad to know I cleared that hurdle in your estimation.

Megan Yeah, I liked that they were full stories. You get the characters whole frame of thought. I've read short stories where the character doesn't really come full circle but these do. As a novel kind of girl, I appreciate that.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Just curious: why two stars?

Megan Mainly because I still have issues with short stories. It's not because of the writing. Like I said originally, they remind me of stuff I did for speech competions in high school at times, which isn't a bad thing all the time but not what I want when I sit down and unload from a stressfull day.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Fair enough. Thanks.