Bianca van Willigenburg's Reviews > Monster of Florence

Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: 2010, non-fiction-true-crime
Read from September 22 to 30, 2010

Interesting non-fiction, telling the history of the Monster of Florence murders from 1968 until 2008.

Written by novelist Douglas Preston and Italian journalist Mario Spezi. The book has two sections, the first telling Spezi's story of the Monster, from the start until about 2000 when Preston arrives in Italy. In the second part Preston continues the story from his POV.

Because of the writing style I got the impression that Preston also wrote Spezi's story.

The book gives a good overview of the case and the people involved. It also shows how the Italian judicial system works. What I liked is that although Spezi and Preston suspect who the Monster is, or rather, with who they are involved with, they still discuss the other suspects and give their arguments why they cannot be the Monster.

Thomas Harris (writer of the Hannibal Lecter series) is also mentioned several times, especially in the first part. I almost sensed a kind of jealousy in the need to drag him into the story in negative ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster of Florence.

09/22/2010 page 80