Sandy's Reviews > Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose

Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh

Jan 03, 11

bookshelves: business, historical-nonfiction
Read in January, 2011

This book was more like 4.5 stars. It's definitely one of my more favorite business books. Delivering Happiness starts with a short biography of the author, talking about Tony Hsieh's early entrepreneurial spirit. While reading it, I couldn't help comparing Zappos to my current company, and of course was not surprised to read about the many policies that Zappos does that my company does as well.

From the HR standpoint, I personally enjoyed the gauntlet thrown of developing interview questions specifically related to the core values. This is something I want to incorporate in my own interviewing. Also, I loved the idea of creating specific trainings that correlate to pay increases, so employees have control over their pay increases by doing something the company wants them to do--it's both concrete (you do X and get Y), measurable (did you do X?), and in the employee's control.

This book was an easy read and entertaining. Sometimes the way the story was presented made it seem like it all just fell into place when I'm sure lots of hard work and many hours were spent (example: there's a problem, someone throws out an idea, and look--it works!). Other than that, I think this book was excellent and a must read for any business owner, manager, or even employee, especially those in small businesses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delivering Happiness.