Amanda's Reviews > Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: ya-lit
Read in September, 2010

Mildred Taylor’s Newbery Medal winner, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, tackles issues of racism in a way that is accessible for Young Adult Literature readers. While it is true that all 276 pages of Roll of Thunder flew by, I devoured the words but had to (and, for that matter, continue to) digest the themes. Themes such as race, choice, ownership, loyalty, friendship, and privilege contribute to the enduring girth behind such “simple” writing. Through Cassie and her family’s experiences, students can use the novel as a springboard into writing character analysis and finding connections with the various themes. Roll of Thunder is more accessible than other novels for young adult readers because it is told from such a likable narrator’s perspective (YA readers will feel like they could have just as easily been the narrator of such a book) and it is real as it provides a glimpse into the racism of the deep south without being too graphic.

I would teach this on the junior high school level.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.