Katya's Reviews > Fallen

Oct 02, 10

bookshelves: horrible-best-friends, katya-s-mouth-runs-away-again, teen-lit
Recommended for: no-one
Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I think it was last year when a movie came out: "He's just not that into you" or something like that... yeah, I think our heroine could benefit from borrowing a page or two from it. For a chick flick, that movie did a better job at describing the relationships between people than most books that cme out lately.

Because, if we believe Lauren Kate, then stalking, rudeness and emotional abuse are just another way for a boy to say "I love you". What's next?

As you can imagine, I didn't like Luce Price. Her "love interest" is uninteresting enough to be ignored for now, but since Luce is our "protagonist" and the narrator of this story, you are forced to look at this world through her eyes and be thoroughly horrified. Is she supposed to be the model for a teenage girl? Boy-obsessed and shallow, she has the attention span of a toddler whenever Daniel or Cam is $around, and her "struggles" between the two take up most of the plot.

Oh, don't be confused - Luce is also intelligent, gifted, and unlike that whiny Bella Swan can actually pass as athletic. However, you don't see that because Luce often uses her intelligence and wit to get out of sticky situations (believe me, there are plenty of those), no, we learn that because she tells us! Yes, that's right, instead of demonstrating her many talents she decides to tell us about her 4.0 GPA and wide knowledge of French and Latin. Show, don't tell, Lauren Kate. Luce wouldn't have to talk to us about her loving relationships with her parents and her supposed BFF (who appears twice in the book and never in person) if she actually showed any other emotion other than lust.

Seriously, Luce spends so much time obsessing over boys that whenever she has to display any other emotion, it seems forced and ridiculous. For example, when Penn dies, she grieves, but the feeling soon gives way to another and it seems like she spent the minimum ammount of time being a good friend before she went back to Daniel, Daniel, always Daniel. And we're supposed to think that she cares for anyone but herself? Hell no!

There is a scattering of decent characters here and there, but they get little or no limelight whatsoever. Gabbe, for instance, promised to be an interesting character, but she is either presented as a bubble-head bimbo, or she is hated and dispised by Luce as a potential rival, even, yes, when Luce was supposed to be grieving about another death.

What's left? The plot is slow, but not in the slow-burn, suspense-building way good books are made. The author could have spent the time until the big revelation working on her mythology and world, but instead we just get Luce, Luce and more Luce. And since Luce is a pretty annoying character, you can see that this story pretty much had me clawing my eyes out.

As for the writing itself, it's simplistic and annoying. The author seems extremely fond of verb-less sentences and uses them on a regular basis. I often encounter books where I wonder where the editor was looking when proof-reading it, but given the text here, I won't be surprised if he just blew a fuse.

All in all, this story was pretty lame. The two decent characters got this thing an extra star, but if it were up to me, the only thing this book is good for is to be used as barbecue fuel... or get recycled into something more decent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.