Aaron Edwards's Reviews > Oedipus Rex

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles

M_50x66
Sep 22, 10

Read in September, 2010

I didn’t really care for Oedipus Rex only from the standpoint that Greek Mythology does not strike my interest. I think the plot behind the story was alright, but for my own personal enjoyment… it didn’t strike my “fancy” so to speak. I think that it was good to learn about Greek Mythology and their entertainment because it is so much more different than it is today. Oedipus Rex to me, seemed like a larger-than-life soap opera. I can understand how the book could appeal to those who are: A.) Interested in Greek Mythology or B.) Enjoy everyday Drama and suspense. I thought the mystery behind who killed Laius was well done, only from the standpoint that those who know nothing about the story wouldn’t have seen the killing coming from Oedipus, but from another person. Overall, the only reason I gave Oedipus Rex such a low rating was because I simply did not enjoy it. I’ve never been a fan of Literature that was written as a play and then converted to a novel. For me, that’s a little tough to follow at times. Also, I just didn’t enjoy the story. There wasn’t enough action in it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oedipus Rex.