Jessica Rawden's Reviews > Hurricane

Sep 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, picture-book, pre-2000
Read in September, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Hurricane is a story of the adventures two boys can get into with an old log and a lot of imagination. After a hurricane causes a tree to blow down, two brothers turn the tree into a pirate ship and a space ship, etc. The tree is in a neighbors yard, and eventually the neighbors cut the tree up for spare lumber. Yet, at the end of the story there is hope for more adventure--a bad storm is on the horizon, and perhaps a second tree will find its way to an earthen bed.
I enjoyed this Wiesner story immensely. It reminded me of some of the great realistic children's stories (Bridge to Teribithia the most) that are able to incorporate elements of imaginative play, or fantasy. When I was growing up, my neighbors had a swingset we would pretend was a pilgrim's home, or a ship journeying for the first time to America. Children will be able to recognize the children's imaginations, and there sadness when their tree is ripped apart. They will be able to indulge in the fantastical images. It's a good book, with a solid idea, meant for children 4-8. It will find most resonance with that audience, and perhaps a little nostalgia with other audiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurricane.