AC's Reviews > The Inland Sea

The Inland Sea by Donald Richie

Sep 24, 10

bookshelves: 20th-21st-century, japan, novels-japanese

This is a wonderful, brilliant, eccentric book - not a travel log -- but truly a dérive, a wandering through a portion of reality in search of self -- and the self and searcher, a man of such honest and tender and, indeed, unsentimental sentiments.

The richness of anecdote and observation -- social, psychological, erotic -- like beautiful landscape -- an oriental Claude or Poussin -- to which Richie himself compares the Inland Sea -- surprised me. I had expected something much slighter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inland Sea.

09/22/2010 page 97
37.0% "marvelous..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jimmy Let me know how this is?

message 2: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC Jimmy wrote: "Let me know how this is?"

I'm on p. 66 and it's wonderful -- it was your review of the Journals that tipped me to Richie, whom I'd never heard of. It's a quick read -- like a long magazine article, with double columns.

message 3: by Jimmy (last edited Sep 24, 2010 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jimmy Yes, Richie is very endearing, isn't he? He's published quite a bit too. I have two of his film books, which I'd like to read before starting in on some of his travel/cultural stuff. As I've mentioned before, his books on both Ozu and Kurosawa are fantastic. I actually have a difficult time reading Jonathan Rosenbaum's film criticism because he once arrogantly (and jealously) referred to Richie's thoughts on Ozu as "redundant". And I used to love Rosenbaum's writing. Anyway, good to hear that you enjoyed this.

message 4: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC Jimmy wrote: "Yes, Richie is very endearing, isn't he? He's published quite a bit too. I have two of his film books, which I'd like to read before starting in on some of his travel/cultural stuff. As I've men..."

No... don't wait... Read Inland Sea - it will take you a day -- you will fall head over heels for it...

Jimmy Apparently, there is a documentary film for The Inland Sea, although I heard that it wasn't very good. I'll definitely read this soon.

message 6: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC This book really has stayed with me -- it's beauty and originality

Jimmy AC wrote: "This book really has stayed with me -- it's beauty and originality"

I felt the same way after reading his journals. I bought a copy of this today.

message 8: by AC (last edited Jan 28, 2011 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC Jimmy wrote: "AC wrote: "This book really has stayed with me -- it's beauty and originality"

I felt the same way after reading his journals. I bought a copy of this today."

I almost bought the Journals today, actually -- and didn't ... I definitely will now, though... (tho don't know when I'll read it -- as I still have 3 unfinished Japan books open before me...)

Jimmy Wow, just ... wow.

message 11: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC Richie passed away the other day http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion...

Jimmy Yeah, I posted the Criterion Collection obituary on my Japan Journals review. Not many people seem alarmed or distraught by his passing. 残念ですね。

message 13: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC Jimmy wrote: "Yeah, I posted the Criterion Collection obituary on my Japan Journals review. Not many people seem alarmed or distraught by his passing. 残念ですね。"

Thanks; I had missed it.

No one reads an old man. But he'll be rediscovered. And thank you for leading me to these books.

Andrew Schirmer The Donalds (Keene & Richie) have always been fantastic guides to Japanese art, society, & culture. I had somehow missed this one. Thanks!

message 15: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Coughenour As the fog's been roving across San Francisco tonight, I've been captivated by this book. Wonderful book so far…

message 16: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC Jim wrote: "As the fog's been roving across San Francisco tonight, I've been captivated by this book. Wonderful book so far…"

Yes it is. Richie's journals are also wonderful...especially the second half.

message 17: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Coughenour I just got his journals and The Donald Richie Reader. He charmed me, even in his more curmudgeonly aspect.