Jo (My House of Books)'s Reviews > Whisper of Scandal

Whisper of Scandal by Nicola Cornick

Sep 22, 10

Read in September, 2010

At first glance, Whisper of Scandal is a classic he said/she said book. The she in question is Lady Joanna Ware; the he, her deceased husband, Lord David Ware, Alexander's best friend. Alex believes everything David ever said about his marriage and almost nothing Joanna says in defense or rebuttal. So Joanna leaves him to his incorrect and biased opinions. She's content to never see him again until David manages to toss them together via a guardianship for his illegitimate daughter. Only then does Alex begin to see David -- and Joanna -- in a new light.

Desperate for a child, even an illegitimate one, Joanna spares no expense in seeking to retrieve the girl from her homeland. Joanna's progress is hampered, naturally, by Alex, who believes she's not fit to take such a voyage on her own. Following a run-in with her late husband's heir, Joanna proposes she and Alex marry, an action that would help both of them equally (she would be given the protection of Alex's name, and he could count on her to provide an adequate home environment for his underage cousin, Chessie, and perhaps an heir). When they do marry, I immediately thought of Alex's earlier statement to his cousin Devlin:

I would make the devil of a husband.

I knew then that Alex and Joanna would find their way into one another's hearts.

The truths that confront them on their journey to the North Pole do test their new marriage and their unconfessed love, and their respective paths toward this love, particularly Joanna's, are so heartbreaking. A lovely, lovely historical romance not to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper of Scandal.