Rachel's Reviews > Rosa

Rosa by Nikki Giovanni

Sep 22, 10

Read in September, 2010

Rosa is a great book! I really enjoyed it! Rosa is the story of Rosa Parks. However, the book really shows what happened on that day she did not give up her seat on the bus. I even learned some information from the book that I did not know before. I like the book because it shows that Mrs. Parks was an average person and she made a difference, proving to readers that no matter who you are you can always make a difference. It also gives steps to how the African Americans rallied together along with white people to change the ways of segregation. Again, the boycott of buses was due to Mrs. Parks not giving her seat up, people rallied together for what they believe in and sometimes it can make a great difference in the world. This book would work great in a classroom, during black history month, Martin Luther King Day, perhaps if there are differences in the classroom, or especially in history or a social studies class. Since this is an picture books I would say fourth grade down could enjoy this book, I say start at fourth grade because although a picture it could be interesting to that grade level and could help in an introduction to a lesson. The pictures follow along with the story, what Mrs. Parks did that day. The pictures display natural colors making the illustrations look very realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosa.