~Sara~'s Reviews > The Graduate

The Graduate by Charles Webb

Sep 22, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books, complete-rubbish, general-fiction
Read in September, 2010

Meet Benjamin. He's 21 and just graduated college. No seriously, he's 21, not a fifteen year old delinquent from a broken family. The author tells us so even though he forgot to make him act like it. Benjamin is mad at the world for being so materialistic. "Get that silver spoon out of my mouth! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you all!. I hate Mrs. Robinson, but I'll sleep with her anyway, I hate my parents for loving and supporting my useless ass, and I hate Elaine for being forced to date her against my wishes. I know! I'll treat her like garbage and I'll never have to go out with her again! Oh, look. She cries when I treat her like shit. I love her and am going to marry her! Now if I stalk her enough and repeat the same things over and over, maybe she'll agree!"
I can understand why Benjamin wanted Elaine (he's crazy) but why would Elaine even give him the time of day let alone fall in love with him? She is one of the least fleshed out characters I've ever read. She has no personality and her wavering between sad and angry falls very flat. The only understandable character in the entire novel is Mrs. Robinson. Her actions and emotions actually made sense to me and she was the only part of this book that I found enjoyable to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graduate.