Kelly's Reviews > Dreadnought

251943
Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, steampunk
Read from September 28 to 30, 2010

First off, I loved Boneshaker. It's one of the books that I consistently rec to people because I adored it. I loved Clementine for entirely different reasons. Of course that puts a lot of pressure on the next book in the series. A.lot. For me, it didn't disappoint.

Mercy is a woman who rises to the occasion every time. She makes no distinction between the color of a person's skin or the color of their uniform. She helps where she is needed. She offers comfort when she can. She's a product of this neverending war, calm in the face of flying bullets and gaping wounds.

Almost-night lashed around her. In the few slim feet between passenger car and mystery car, the air was sharp with bullets and loud with the clank of artillery and the grudging, straining pump of the Dreadnought's pistons jamming the wheels over and over and over, drawing the train along the tracks and farther into the sunset-chasing it, doomed never to catch it. Begging for just a few more minutes of light.

In the end, it isn't about what she'll find in Seattle, but what she learns along the way. Both about herself and about the men who are trying to orchestrate the end of this terrible war. The question at hand is: At what point have you crossed the line in your bid to find victory?

I liked how Mercy's journey was directly brought about by the events that happened in Boneshaker. I liked seeing how Briar and Zeke and Captain Cly made out and what they've been up to since we left them.

In the end I was very satisfied with this chapter of a war-torn nation powered by steam and great flying ships, struggling to end a war that is slowly killing them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadnought.