Rachel's Reviews > Nobody Don't Love Nobody: Lessons on Love from the School With No Name

Nobody Don't Love Nobody by Stacey Bess

Sep 22, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, book-club
Read in April, 2005

Some quick insights from the book:

1- At Christmas, there is always a toy drive for the homeless/needy. The calls goes out for new, unwrapped toys. I've always wondered why they were so picky: isn't used better than nothing? The book explains that second hand toys are another way for homeless kids to feel like second class citizens. Also, don't give barbie outfits to a kid who may not have the barbie.

2- Most parents want their children to have a better life than they had. Not everyone starts at the same point, and it may take another family three or four generations to get to my starting point. People need compassion and service, not judgment and condemnation.

3- Sometimes we do things because we want to motivate change: we want people to like or become interested in our religion, or we want people to treat us better, or to choose a better life than they have now, or whatever, so we give and give and give, hoping to see a miracle.
There is nothing wrong with those motivations, per se, but we need to remember that the giving has to be enough. People aren't always going to react the way that we hope that they will.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Don't Love Nobody.