Josiah's Reviews > Winter's Heart

M_50x66
Sep 22, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in September, 2010

Well, this is the first Wheel of Time I've read since college and I have a lot of mixed emotions about it. Reading it was a confusion of nostalgia, disappointment, and excitement I have no proper outlet for. I'm still amazed by what Jordan brought to the genre, but the drawn-out decompression of the last novels is still there. And there are so many characters!

But it's peaks and troughs. There are exciting scenes and new discoveries that pop up and make me want to reread the whole series a million times. And then there is page after page of description drier than bad encyclopedias--and likely less useful in the long run.

Moreover, I'm really conflicted with the treatment of female characters. I know it's Jordan's style to put people in groups -- Aes Sedai do this, Warders do this, Aielmen do this, etc -- but all the women do this, men do this, women think like this, men think like this, grades on me. But at the same time, I think that's just a part of his style and his world and so I should take it with a grain of salt. I guess a lot of fantasy is stereotyping characters in-type and against-type in categories of race and profession and so why not gender too? Though maybe that's why I like the settings without the standard fantasy races better... Hmm...

Well, it's not enough to put me off seeing this to the end, now that the end is promised and I'm excited to see how Sanderson does it. So on to the next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Heart.