Joyzi's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: adult, fiction, books-to-movies, disappointing-books, reviewed, didn-t-finish-skimmed, don-t-judge-me, watched-it, mystery, own, book-series, author-was-possessed, realistic-fiction, contemporary-fiction, crime
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Recommended for: Those who love mystery thriller books
Read from September 23 to October 08, 2010, read count: 1

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Pictures, Images and Photos

***Movie Update: I just saw the movie today and I have to say that it was so much better than the book! The pacing was great, the actress who played Lisbeth Salander nailed the role and all the Financial Journalism nonsense was obliterated. Even the Blomkvist-Cecilia love affair was not seen. The movie has awesome camera shots and it was a very good adaptation of the book. Even made the book amazing in my eyes. Now I'm really confused why I don't think that the book was awesome when I read it. Well I'll just blame it on the author's writing. I'll caution on some disturbing rape scenes, nudity, foul language and violence on women though. (R-18 and not for sensitive audience.)***

Book Review:
Caution: The book contains rape, incest and misogyny, if you don't like to read a book that sick and disturbing don't read this. Review may contain spoilers.

Pros:
1. The book is a mystery/crime/suspense/thriller ergo a breath of fresh air for a reader of paranormal, fantasy and romance genres.

2. The book has an interesting heroine in the name of "Lisbeth Salander" who was four feet 11, antisocial, anorexic and has no boobs, but inspite of that was an exceptional hacker with a photographic memory. Not to mention she got piercings and tattoos that's why she's so bad ass. (She's the girl with the dragon tattoo so to speak.)

3. Cool thing was the murderer uses Bible verses and then parodied it into his crimes.

4. The book also talks about hacking and you will also learn a thing or two about poisons.

Cons:
1. I hated books that have slow pace and definitely this book was slow as a slug. The action sets in only on the second half of the book.

2. Pointless, pointless details! The author would describe clothes, sandwiches, and writes just anything the character was doing (drinking coffee, jogging or reading a particular book).

3. The casual sex! Blomkvist would have sex with Berger and then later on would also have sex with Cecilia and then much later on would have sex with Lisbeth. Surprisingly no one got Syphilis at the end.

4. The book talks a lot about Financial Journalism wherein from the first chapter had irritated me because I don't have a f****** clue what they're talking about and I don't even care about Financial Journalism that it really makes me bored to sleepiness (I even skimmed on the epilogue because I really don't give a damn).

5. Plot too many (to put it simply).

6. Rape scenes of Lisbeth was SICK!

7. Predictable and cliche:
- Blomkvist go to Martin's House
- Martin locked Blomkvist on the basement
- Martin was the murderer.
- Just as about the murderer would kill Blomkvist, Lisbeth came.
- Blomkvist was saved of course.
- Martin escaped.
- Lisbeth followed Martin's car on the road using her motorcycle.
- Martin's car was hit by the truck (talk about ANTICLIMACTIC!)

8. The Mystery ended with this: Gottfried was a sick murderer, he loves killing women, he taught his son Martin about it too. Martin also loves killing women too. Gottfried rapes her daughter Harriet. Harriet killed his father. Martin witnessed the incident. Martin rapes her sister. Harriet cannot tell anyone about it because Martin would tell everyone that she kills their father. Harriet was not murdered when she disappeared on Hedesby Island, she only escapes, she was alive and she was living on Australia using Anita's identity. (I was disappointed by it because I was really expecting she was murdered and the murderer was a genius to hide the evidence, but it was just Harriet escaping WTF!)
___________________________________________________________________
I'm so happy I've found a copy on Booksale for only Php130.00!

Quotes Joyzi Liked

Stieg Larsson
“What she had realised was that love was that moment when your heart was about to burst.”
Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

09/25/2010 page 20
4.0% "Aaaaaw the author of the book died shortly after delivering the manuscripts of this book and the 2 sequels. Isn't it ironic? *shiver*"
09/25/2010 page 101
22.0% "Wow, this book is so good so far, love Lisbeth!"
10/02/2010 page 243
52.0% "It's getting disturbing."

Kwesi 章英狮 Wow, your lucky! Hardbound?

Joyzi Nope, softbound, but still great

Kwesi 章英狮 Oo nga! Wow, sana ganyan rin ako sa booksale!

Joyzi Lol dapat lang magaling ka maghanap...Sometimes kasi yung mga libro dun ang gulo gulo

message 5: by Rollie (new)

Rollie nice.. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha oo nga eh, bakit 2 star lang?

Joyzi I explained it on my review, just read the cons haha, it was too lengthy to explain here

Kwesi 章英狮 hahaha sige sige.

message 9: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I think 2 is very kuripot, Joyzi considering that you were able to write a long detailed review ha ha. Not that I am questioning your rating. ^_^ wala lang ha ha.

message 10: by Armand (last edited Oct 10, 2010 11:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Armand Does this mean that finding the book at booksale wasn't so lucky after all after you've read and given it you're Hmmmmm "interesting" review? Ha!Ha! Still you might find that your curious literary desire will push you to read Books Two and Three of the series (The Girl who played with Fire/The Girl who stirred the hornets nest) in order to make a complete review of the whole package. A lot of your followers will definitely be waiting for it.

message 11: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I agree with Armand, Joyzi. We will be eagerly waiting for your rating on the other 2 books. You are gaining followers by reading popular books and giving them low ratings ha ha.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Casual sex, with many details, and done slowly can't possibly just be 2 stars. Please reconsider the rating.

message 13: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Yes, Joyzi. You are breaking our hearts by your 2 stars.

Joyzi 2 stars means it's okay right? I don't hate it but I don't like it either so I think I'll stick with the two star rating :P.

Joyzi Armand wrote: "Does this mean that finding the book at booksale wasn't so lucky after all after you've read and given it you're Hmmmmm "interesting" review? Ha!Ha! Still you might find that your curious literary ..."

I still plan to read the next since a lot have said that the second one was better and would probably watch the movie version too since also a lot think it was better than the book.

Joyzi Joselito wrote: "Casual sex, with many details, and done slowly can't possibly just be 2 stars. Please reconsider the rating."

Nope lol, the casual sex just made the book repulsive.

Jennifer Lane I liked this book a lot better than you did but your review made me laugh. I was surprised by how much I liked Mikael despite his player tendencies. Maybe it was because he was so upfront with each female conquest.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly the more repulsive the casual sex is, the greater its literary merit. Look at Marquis de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom, considered by many as one of the pillars of modern literature.

message 19: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I agree. I am reading it now and it is glorious writing! Sade is a literary genius!

Joyzi Joselito wrote: "the more repulsive the casual sex is, the greater its literary merit. Look at Marquis de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom, considered by many as one of the pillars of modern literature."

Is that really true?

Monique Hi Joyzi. If you didn't like this first book that much, I'm not sure if you'll like the next two. The characters haven't changed much I'm afraid, and if you thought that the pacing was a tad too slow for you in this book, you'd better prepare yourself for the next ones. As for the sex, casual or otherwise (Lisbeth was, after all, a victim of rape), that's a reality that people have to contend with. Sick, repulsive, but real.

Happy reading on your next to-be-read book! :)

message 22: by Armand (last edited Oct 12, 2010 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Armand The repulsiveness of the casual sex in any story is dependent on how it is used to build up the motivation or the development of the characters. Expect Heavy S&M sex scenes in a Marquis De Sade story as he has been attributed with the invention of sadistic pleasures. As to Mikael & Lisbeth, their indulgence with casual sex was more a reflection of their hard and flawed experiences that made them look at it as a means to a pleasurable end. Also they are Swedes known to be the most liberated when it comes to sex. Funny, I sense a lot of you Guys are thinking of going to Sweden. Count me out---------unless we can form a group of ten and avail of travel discounts with the package to include meeting a Lisbeth Salander look alike.

Joyzi Monique wrote: "Hi Joyzi. If you didn't like this first book that much, I'm not sure if you'll like the next two. The characters haven't changed much I'm afraid, and if you thought that the pacing was a tad too sl..."

Is the next book still talks about Financial Journalism? The casual sex and the rape I can handle but the talks about Financial Journalism makes me want to burn the book.

message 24: by Armand (last edited Oct 12, 2010 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Armand A new type of mystery will unfold in the second book involving a guest reporter for the Millennium Publishing Corp. The reporter was writing about a group involved in Women Slave trading where Lisbeth Salander will unwittingly get entangled.. A different and more intense suspense awaits away from the financial journalism scandal in the first book.

Monique Joyzi wrote: "Monique wrote: "Hi Joyzi. If you didn't like this first book that much, I'm not sure if you'll like the next two. The characters haven't changed much I'm afraid, and if you thought that the pacing ..."

What's great about this trilogy is the development of several stories that, as you go along, will somehow evolve into one huge story because, as you will realize, they're actually interrelated or interwoven. To tell the truth, when I read the last 2 books, I became a bit impatient, but, having read "Dragon Tattoo", I knew that everything will work and meld together in the end, so I just enjoyed what they had to offer (and enjoyed them, I did).

Armand above has written about what to expect in the next 2 books. They're a winded mystery dealing with more mature and adult ~ and, may I add, very real ~ subject matter, and hopefully it will keep you reading to the very last page.

And whatever you do, please resist the urge to burn the books ha! You can send them my way (even if I already have copies). Happy reading! :)

Joyzi Okay haha I'm going to read the next one, since I'd have a lot of free time, our sem break is next week.

message 27: by Edil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edil for me it deserves more stars depending on the reader.. maybe it's meant for broad minded readers who can understand social issues.. ;) reading the third book now.. and i'm happy to buy brand new copies! :D

message 28: by Regine (new)

Regine I have friends that are broad-minded who can understand social issues, and they didn't like this book. To each their own.

Joyzi I'm actually half-half on this, the movie was great (the book was okay) but still there are parts that really disturbed me. I'm not really a fan of rape scenes I suppose. While watching it I'm scrubbing my arms and I really felt disgusted.

message 30: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul "Expect Heavy S&M sex scenes in a Marquis De Sade
story" - this is quite correct except don't expect a story

Joyzi What do S&M means?

message 32: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Sadism and masochism - avoid at all cost!

Isamlq Paul wrote: "Sadism and masochism - avoid at all cost!"

lol

message 34: by Regine (new)

Regine Paul wrote: "Sadism and masochism - avoid at all cost!"

or slave and master. lol. no. just save it until you're older. Haha.

Joyzi So it's a short term version of BDSM, sorry I'm not good at these terms (liar! *crazy laugh*)

Armand Regine wrote: "Paul wrote: "Sadism and masochism - avoid at all cost!"

or slave and master. lol. no. just save it until you're older. Haha."

When I was young, I gathered all my wits and strengthen my will to avoid at all cost Sadism and masochism. Now that I'm Older, Sadism and Masochism are the ones avoiding me at all cost even if I'm willing to pay the cost. Why!!!!!!!!! HaHaHa or HuHuHu as the case may be. (LOL na lang!)

Joyzi hahaha

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly why did you laugh? did you understand it?

Joyzi "wala lang" *just having a manic episode*

Joyzi Don't read the book Bandwa, just watch the movie! Lisbeth is so aweeeeesomeeeee!

Gabriella Oh my God, I'm so happy I found your review. I didn't feel like finishing this crappy book but I really wanted to know how it ended. And goddamn, it's even more sick than I imagined. The poor girl gets raped by her father AND her brother. God. I'm worried about Mr. Larrson...

Joyzi Uhm if you're worried about the author, he's already dead and may he RIP, he actually died after sending the three drafts of his novels

Gabriella Oh that's right, I forgot the author died.

Angela I think Blonkvist was the author's alter-ego. So attractive and charming no woman could resist him. Gag.

Joyzi Lol is that meant to be sarcastic or that was just me?

Angela Yes, sarcasm. I forgot it doesn't always work as well when written down.

Joyzi yep lol hahaha sometimes I put (note the sarcasm) on the screen so they would know I was being sarcastic^^

Minglis haha, your criticisms made me laugh. not because i think they're unfounded, just because i simply felt completely the opposite. i found the financial journalism incredibly interesting and well thought out, and i know fuck all about it too, for example. and i assume blomkvist used protection, most of the time :P

also the conclusion was satisfying to me, larsson was aiming for something with a bit more realism to the mystery than what you'd typically find, and i felt he achieved that. sometimes people just die in the most banal, anticlimactic of ways. makes sense that it might happen in a book.

message 49: by Joyzi (last edited Jan 18, 2011 05:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joyzi @Minglis yeah I actually considering reading the next book because one of my friends IRL was raving about these books and she really was harrasing me to read it so that she can have someone to talk to, yeah I might give book 2 a second chance and read it :)

Minglis you may enjoy the second book, i'm half way through it now and it has very little sex by comparison, no rape scenes or anything grotesque like that, and none of the financial journalism so prevalent in the first book. it's a bit slow to start again but the pacing feels much better in my opinion. obviously i can't comment on how cliched it might be for you though as it's quite subjective, and i haven't finished the book just yet. so i dunno, maybe give it a chance.

« previous 1