Natalia's Reviews > Forbidden

Jul 21, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, favorites, best-ya
Read from February 11 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

Oh my God...

★★★★★★★★★★ 10 stars!... but...

How can I possible say that I loved this book when it broke my heart into pieces and I am still trying to recover from this emotionally intense and chocking reading. I struggle for words to describe a book that put on the verge the moral dilemma of consensual Incest. How to define what is right from wrong? or what is wrong from right? Does it have to be one or the other? How in some cases love can be wrong in front of the eyes of a society that still has too many moral boundaries to understand a different kind of love?. In this case, a love that is considered as something disgusting and taboo. Nowadays, we do not follow a Divine Command anymore. Today, we have debates, and this book brings back one. The debate to reconsider a different case scenario concerning incest. Forbidden takes this "disgusting taboo" and turns it into the most beautiful and heartbreaking love story I have ever read. Also, There are so many other themes in this book like family, alcoholism, Parents' abandonment, traumas, depression, loneliness, sustain, life, incest and of course, Love.

Forbidden is a chocking and powerful book and you will feel its emotional weight long after you turned the last page. An incredible narration from the solid strong voices of Lochan and Maya's point of view. This book will put you on the edge of tears and happiness, desperation and relief. It will crack your heart and make you smile. It will lead you through the cruel and painful road of Maya and Lochan's love. A very scarce and different type of Love. Different and punishable by the law. I know Forbidden is fiction, but why can not we allow ourselves to think that, as a remote case, maybe two siblings could truly fall in love with each other? We all know that in fiction, there is also reality.

So why? If it is love... just because is different...does it mean is wrong?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

Quotes Natalia Liked

Tabitha Suzuma
“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“He is my soul mate, my fresh air, the reason I look forward to getting up every morning.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“There are no laws, no boundaries on feelings.We can love each other as much and as deeply as we want.No one, Maya, no one can ever take that away from us.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“At what point do you give up - decide enough is enough? There is only one answer really. Never.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“But I don't want to be fine, not if it means she's going to let go of my hand; not if it means we're going to go back to being polite strangers.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“It's always nice being wanted. Even if it's by the wrong person.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“This whole time, my whole life, that harsh, stony path was leading up to this one point. I followed it blindly, stumbling along the way, scraped and weary, without any idea of where it was leading, without ever realizing that with every step I was approaching the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel. And now that I've reached it, now that I'm here, I want to catch it in my hand, hold onto it forever to look back on - the point at which my new life really began.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“I might appear confident and chatty, but I spend most of my time laughing at jokes I don't find funny, saying things I don't really mean - because at the end of the day that's what we're all trying to do: fit in, one way or another, desperately trying to pretend we're all the same.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“How can something so wrong feel so right?”
tags: love

Tabitha Suzuma
“I am overcome by a feeling of complete detachment. I am a mere object to these people. I am barely human any more.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“How-how can we make it against the whole world?”
tags: love

Tabitha Suzuma
“You've always been my best friend, my soul mate, and now I've fallen in love with you too. Why is that such a crime?”
tags: maya

Tabitha Suzuma
“He shakes his head with a slow smile. You'd better be right. If the phone rings, I'm unpluggining it, I swear to God-“
You'd do that to your five-year-old sister?“ I gasp in mock outrage.
For one whole night alone? Jesus, Maya, I'd sell her to the gypsies!”

Tabitha Suzuma
“Pressed up against him, I can feel the thud of his heart against mine, his ribcase expanding and contracting rapidly against my chest, the warm whisper of his breath tickling the side of my neck, the brush of his leg against my thigh. Resting my arms on his shoulders, I pull back a little to get a look at his face. But he isn't smiling any more.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“Time has stopped; time is racing. Lochie's lips are rough yet smooth, hard yet gentle. His fingers are strong: I feel them in my hair and on my neck and down my arms and against my back. And I never want him to let me go.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“This is the definition of happiness: a whole day stretching out ahead of me, beautiful in its emptiness and simplicity.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“I mean, at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter who I end up with if it can't be you?”

Tabitha Suzuma
“It's horrible being ashamed of someone you care about; it eats away at you. And if you let it get to you, if you give up the fight and surrender, eventually that shame turns to hate.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“And this is something I must accept - even if, like acid on metal, it is slowly corroding me inside.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“The words fire from my mouth like bullets, ricocheting off the walls before I can even register what I'm saying.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“I don't know when it started - this thing - bit it's growing, muffling me, suffocating me like poison ivy. I grew into it. It grew into me. We blurred at the edges, became an amorphous, seeping, crawling thing.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“I've never seen anyone sleep with their head hanging off the back of a wooden chair before - was the couch not comfortable enough for you?”

Tabitha Suzuma
“She can't just be a face, a body; there has to be more than that, some kind of connection. And I can't connect, don't want to connect, with anyone.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“What else could he possibly have done? What choices did he ever have?”

Tabitha Suzuma
“We can love each other.' I swallow hard to ease the constriction in my throat. 'There are no laws, no bundaries on feelings. We can love each other as much and as deeply as we want. No one, Maya, no one can never take that away from us.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“It's always nice being fancied. It's always nice being wanted. Even it it's by the wrong person.”

Tabitha Suzuma
“Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”

02/11/2011
30.0% "Jeez! this is disturbing. My heart is breaking into pieces and getting smashed -_-..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana is this about incest?

message 2: by Claudette (new) - added it

Claudette I so have to read this.

Natalia Yes it is... oh my god! read my review. I put my thoughts on it. Im still shocked!

An excellent read guys. I truly recommend you to read this...like... now!!

message 4: by Mari (new)

Mari Wow! I haven't heard a single bad review about this book! Have to hurry up and pick this one :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalia Emma wrote: "Wow! I haven't heard a single bad review about this book! Have to hurry up and pick this one :)"

I got mine from Thebookdepository. snifff! you must read it! sniff

Natalia Alexis wrote: "I've been wanting to read this FOREVER, finally bought it, but I basically know whats going to happen cause I've read all the reviews lol. I'm prepared to cry"

you may have an idea... but seriously... I never ever imagined I would read something like it.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I'm expecting! Yeah, I heard it was truly spectacular. I can't wait

Natalia hope it gets to your place soon! ;)

Stephanie This is exactly how I felt after reading it! It makes you question everything you thought you knew!

Natalia I know!!Im still chocked! and Im such a masochist that Im gonna read it again as soon as I get it by mail. Since the one I read was the ebook version. I couldn't wait to get the paper one. But oh LORD!! I so need to turn those pages and... shit!! I know Im gonna have a hard time reading it again sniff!! But is soooo worth the suffering sniff!

Stephanie Lol! You're not the only one. I'm definitely re-reading it once I get through my TBR for the month :')

You read the e-book? I should have thought of that lol I didn't know it was available, so I ordered it from the book depository (since it's out already in the UK).

Natalia hahaha Im glad to know Im not alone in this masochist experience! XD
Yes! ActuallyI start reading the ebook and arounf page 60 I was like... O_O hol shit this stuff it just too too too too too GOOD!. So I got the book from the book depository too! I always prefer paper edition to re-read books. It's more sexy the feeling of touching pages and the smell... OH GOD! and it makes is always easier to go back and ford looking for specific passages and quotes <3 ^__^ and also making with some bookmarks here and there! You should see my Vampire Academy books! lol, they are full of them XDDD

Kaisa I totally agree with all of this. It was an emotional experience reading the story <3

message 15: by Natalia (last edited Mar 06, 2011 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalia Hey! thanks for accepting the friend request =)
happy reading ^____^

message 16: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I'm happy you loved it! 9 months after reading it I still want to cry when I think about the story, Lochie or when a read a review (like this one). One of the best books I've ever read!

message 17: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I just bought this today... 10 stars? I just had to check that out!

Natalia prove it to yourself! ;)

Em~Lost In A Dream~ Just finished it yesterday,in one day.It was so hard to put down.I will never EVER forget this story.EVER.It also taught me sometimes love chooses you.
Oh and is it wierd I laughed in this? Some parts didn't break my heart.And when I read this,I thought it was in the U.S.
This book was SO emotional for me and I will never ever forget it.
Ps.Loved the reveiw.

message 20: by Starr ♔ (new) - added it

Starr ♔ Just because of your review, I'm going to try this book. Though i'm not sure if I'm gonna like this.. But still I'll try.

Clarifina ~Books Are My Drugs~ Oh, how I loved this book. I re-read it twice. I love books that make me cry. Like, ugly cry with the red face and puffed eyes.