Kelsey Carroll's Reviews > Rosa

Rosa by Nikki Giovanni

4205738
Sep 21, 10

Read in September, 2010

I personally, really enjoyed the book Rosa by Nikki Giovanna and illustrated by Bryan Collier. The book is about Rosa Parks and the bus arrest, and a bit about other topics in civil rights history. Although this is a children’s book, it is very serious and knowledgeable. I would say that the grade range for this book would be perfect for kids who are in 3rd to 5th grade. The part of this book that I really thought was amazing was the illustrations. Texture was used all throughout the pages. It is nice to read the text, get a feel for what the author is talking about, and look at the picture and get a really good image of the story through the illustrations.
I think that this book does a very good job of instilling strength and confidence in what is right in kids. Numerous times it talks about how Rosa knew what was right and what was not fair, and she stood up for what she believed in. My favorite quote from this book came from the last page, "The integrity, the dignity, the quiet strength of Rosa Parks turned her no into a YES for change." That is such a powerful message in only a couple of words. This book would be wonderful for when teaching about civil rights in classes. It has beautiful illustrations and a great message for kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosa.