Julia's Reviews > Black Wings

Black Wings by Christina Henry

Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read in September, 2010

Black Wings by Christina Henry is fast paced, action packed and hardcore- breathing new life into the vast genre of Urban Fantasy. I was sucked into Madeline Black's morbid world of death from page one and didn't stop until the book was over. (At which point I was like what!? That's it?! I want mooore!) This is my favorite Urban Fantasy read of the year- an absolutely fabulous debut novel.

Maddy lives in an alternate-Chicago where the Agents of Death have their main office. Maddy has inherited the "agent" title from her deceased mother. They escort the newly dead to a door that takes them to another world. On top of an intense job- her boss is riding her back, she's got new powers and she is in desperate need of a new tenant. Can she handle all this change at once? Maddy is majorly kick ass with a sweet vulnerability that makes her likable and easy to relate to. And things are finally turning around for her when a new tenant walks in ready to pay the rent... or so she thought. Everything spins out of control pretty quickly with dead bodies and demons piling up all around her- which only means one thing. It is time to uncover the truth behind her heritage and slaughter some bad guys.

The world Henry created is incredibly believable. The villains are scary bad-asses and the heroine is gutsy. The best part of it all is her best friend/Gargoyle, Beezle. He is snarky, insecure and over protective- absolutely adorable in description. Ah, and before I forget- the sexual tension between our Madeline and Gabriel spills off the pages.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone that likes Urban Fantasy. Black Wings is intense, dark and full of surprises. I am waiting with great expectation the next novel in this series, Black Night. Get this book!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Wings.