Tobey's Reviews > Eifelheim

Eifelheim by Michael Flynn

3202324
Mar 07, 12

Read from January 14 to March 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eifelheim.

Quotes Tobey Liked

Michael Flynn
“Any fool can hope when success lies plainly in view. It wants genuine strength to hope when matters are hopeless.”

Michael Flynn
“Hans clacked his side-lips. "Do you have the sentence in your head that tomorrow's procession will halt this pest of yours, that it will bar the small-lives from the High Woods?"
"If it is as you say, no. No more than prayer can stay a charging horse. But that is not why we pray. God is no cheap juggler as to play for a pfennig.”

Michael Flynn
“For what purpose have you prayed?"
"For thanks. If I must die, at least I have lived. If my companions have perished, at least I have known them. If the world is cruel, at least I have tasted kindness. I had to cross to the far side of the sky to taste it but, as you say, the world is full of miracles.”

Michael Flynn
“On the hill opposite, Joachim tolled the midday bell, announcing lunch to the workers in the fields. Klaus listened a moment, then said, "I thought it would be a bleaker scene."
Dietrich turned to him, "What would be?"
"This day. I thought it would be marked by terrible signs - lowering clouds, ominous winds, a crack of thunder. Twilight. Yet, it is so ordinary a morning that I grow frightened."
"Only now frightened."
"Ja. Portents would mean a Divine Mover, however mysterious His moves; and the wrath of an angry God may be turned away by prayer and penance. But it simply happened. Everard grew sick and fell down. There were no signs; so it may be a natural thing, as you have always said. And against nature, we have no recourse.”

Michael Flynn
“The body's ills are the least of ills, for they end only in death, which is but a little thing. But if the spirit dies, then all is lost.”

Michael Flynn
“Jesus said the weeds would grow with the wheat until the Judgement," Dietrich answered, "so one finds both good men and bad in the Church. By our fruits we will be known, not by what name we have called ourselves. I have come to believe that there is more grace in becoming wheat than there is in pulling weeds.”

02/06/2012 page 126
39.0% "This book is moving at a glacial pace. That's not to say it's bad. Life is also providing little opportunity to read, so there's that. I'm going to take a break and catch up on some comics."
show 2 hidden updates…