Julie's Reviews > The Forest Lover

The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland

I listened to "The Forest Lover" by Susan Vreeland a few years before I recommended it to my book club to read. Some of my book club members did not realize that Emily Carr was a real artist until they saw all of the art books with her work that I checked out from the library for our meeting. I must admit that I did not know who Emily Carr was until I listened to the book and began searching for her work.

Emily Carr grew up in Victorian British Columbia with her strict parents and four sisters. Always drawn to the outdoors and the native culture of British Columbia, it did not take long for Emily to forge her own path in the world despite all of the odds against a woman at that time.

Along her path of becoming an artist, Emily Carr meets many people that encourage (but mostly discourage) her of fulfilling her dreams of capturing a way of life and an environment at its purest before they are overrun with civilization.

Susan Vreeland's descriptions of Emily Carr's travels, drawings, paintings, writings, and philosophies truly capture a woman who was sadly not as appreciated in her day as she should have been. Fortunately for us, we can enjoy her story and her work for all time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest Lover.