Isa Lavinia's Reviews > The Changeling Sea

The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip

Aug 25, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, favorites, owned, cozy, children-mg, mystery, political-intrigue, worth-re-reading, otp
Read in September, 2010

Originally posted at Paperback Wonderland.

Sometimes people ask me to recommend a book and it usually goes a bit like this:

Hipster girl: Hey do you know which book I shoul--
Metalhead dude: Hey, I've been thinking about readi--
Mum: Any books you--
~*~
Some friend: Got any books yo--
Me: The Changeling Sea!
Some friend. You always say that! I've already read it!
Me: READ IT AGAIN.

Anyone who's lived their whole life by the sea will tell you that it's hard to successfully write a story that will give you the sense of wonder and possibility it brings. A Menina do Mar comes to mind, and though it's a children's book it's absolutely perfect, perhaps because I read it when I was a little girl and those books always have a special place in our hearts. The Changeling Sea through what I can only assume to be some freaky magical powers Patricia McKillip possesses, managed to be placed into that same corner of my heart even though I've read it as an adult. I guess that's the highest praise a book can get.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changeling Sea.

Quotes Isa Liked

Patricia A. McKillip
“It’s an odd thing, happiness. Some people take happiness from gold. Or black pearls. And some of us, far more fortunate, take their happiness from periwinkles.”
Patricia A. McKillip, The Changeling Sea

04/20 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-11 of 11) </span> <span class="smallText">(11 new)</span>

Celia Your post is kind of charming and is the sole reason for me reading this book! As the responsible party I will have to tell you if I loved this book :)

message 2: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia Oh, man, I really hope you love it, then! If you don't, pretend you did so this isn't awkward. Just kidding :)

message 3: by Celia (last edited Jul 30, 2012 12:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Celia Isa wrote: "Oh, man, I really hope you love it, then! If you don't, pretend you did so this isn't awkward. Just kidding :)"

;) well the genre is up my ally, so it shouldn't come to me dis-liking it! I thought it would be nice to know that 'you' sent it from my 'might-read' list to my 'to-read' list. I am finishing up another book; I'll give you a heads up in a few more days :)

EDIT: Just got the book today, so by next week :) (I already started on Tairen Soul #2)

message 4: by Celia (last edited Aug 16, 2012 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Okay, I found time and read it in one go yesterday: It was so good! I wish there was a #2, but of course that would ruin how McKillip rounded the story off so well. I give it 4.5 (5 stars, so the average goes up & others know it's good ;) ): I liked the writing style, the story was original, without cliche and unpredictable and good characters.

Thank you very much, I would never have read this book without you! Do you have anything else like this? :D

message 5: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia Omg, I'm so, so glad you liked it!!

If you liked The Changeling Sea, you might like other books by Patricia A. McKillip, like The Forgotten Beasts of Eld or Alphabet of Thorn. Robin McKinley's Chalice may also be to your liking, or Franny Billingsley's Chime. And of course, Diana Wynne Jones's Howl's Moving Castle.

As for general recommendations of books I've loved you just have to go through my favourites' shelf, but I always recommend Ysabeau S. Wilce's books.

I don't really know what else to recommend, since your profile is set to private, but I hope you'll like at least one of these books :)

message 6: by Celia (last edited Aug 16, 2012 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Celia Isa wrote: "Omg, I'm so, so glad you liked it!!

I'll definitely look into the authors and their books. Normally I find elements of a book that annoy me, I am so happy this one didn't, so I wouldn't have to tell you (I 'believe' in truth telling ;) ). Thank you, again!

Hehe, it's 'private' because I sometimes read adult content and too many people (parent's friends) have a goodreads account and find me (though I use an alias. It's quite annoying :p )

message 7: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia No problem!

Man, I'm so glad none of my parents' friends or even my parents know about goodreads...

Sabrina I loved this book so much that I'm struggling to keep from reading it immediately. Definitely one of my favorites from McKillip, probably second to Winter Rose.

message 9: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia I haven't read Winter Rose, yet! Just added it to my to read list :)

message 10: by Emilyn (new) - added it

Emilyn That reminds me of my own favorite fantasy series, the Auralia Thread, which is a little similar to Patricia McKillip's poetic style. I always recommend it. The first book's Auralia's Colors and it's about an artist who was raised by thieves.

message 11: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa Lavinia Just added it to my "to read" shelf. Thanks for the rec :)