Stephanie's Reviews > The Cardturner About Imperfect Partners and Infinite Possibilities

The Cardturner About Imperfect Partners and Infinite Possibil... by Louis Sachar

Sep 21, 10

bookshelves: audio-books, realistic-fiction, young-adult, adult-fiction

OK. I'm not going to shy away from the truth here... this book is about the card game, Bridge. As the author says in the introduction, everyone - his publisher, his editor, his wife - said he was crazy to write a book about Bridge. But it's Louis Sachar (author of Holes) and he pulls it off. It's not just about Bridge of course, it's also the relationship between the main character and his great uncle who has gone blind from complications of diabetes. His great uncle loves to play Bridge and so he asks his nephew to be his Cardturner. The Cardturner tells the player what he has in his hand. I'm totally going to try to find somewhere to learn to play Bridge. It's sounds and complicated and challenging, and a game that could sustain your interest for a lifetime.

Oh yeah, and if you don't want to listen (or read) the details about Bridge in the book, he has "Moby Dick" alerts: when a detailed section about Bridge is coming up a fog horn sounds (or in the book there is a little whale icon) and that indicates you can space out (or skip in the case of reading) that section. Hilarious!

I suggest giving this book a try. It may be my favorite of 2010. It's read by the author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cardturner About Imperfect Partners and Infinite Possibilities.