Sherese's Reviews > Family Tree

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

F_50x66
Jan 11, 08

Read in January, 2008

This book took two seconds to read but Ms. Delinksy should have done some research on the Black experience because this woman has absolutely no clue about it as evident with her latest novel. I found myself laughing at the ridiculousness of the dialogue between characters and the author's misinformed ideas of what it means to be Black/African-American. In this day in age does anyone really believe the one drop rule? Who goes around saying I'm 1/16 black so I need to redefine who I am completely. Seriously, it's not just about DNA or skin color it's about community, family, culture that determines your preception of yourself the people around you and society. If you do not see yourself as a person of color nor do you feel any connection to the culture or community of these races be it Hispanic, Asian, Black, American Indian (or a mixture of all things in between) then being 100%, 50% or 10% of any race means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! And was I the only one completely annoyed by the fact that every "Black" character in this book had either one White parent or was only 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 Black? Give me a break!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Tree.