Jennifer's Reviews > Very Valentine

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Nov 25, 10

Valentine is the "funny one" in the family. She is a 33 yr old sweet, honest, Italian girl who also happens to be the only unmarried family member left. A big no-no in this traditional family. However, Valentine finds her self at a crossroads in her life: no immediate plans of settling down, no "serious" job, but a serious desire to continue the family business of custom made bridal shoes. Valentine is currently the apprentice at Angelini Shoe Company, but must help her Grandmother Theodora in saving the business. The company is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and only modern day financing can save this olde world company.

Valentine makes her mission to stabilize the company and in the process, she matures and comes into her own, as both a person and a designer. Valentine realizes her potential, harnesses her craft, and figures out what she wants in a relationship and a man. Valentine becomes comfortable with herself. Does she save Angelini Shoes? You will have to read the book to find out :)

This story is filled with wonderful moments of Val and her family. These scenes may seem totally stereotypical, but they are spot on accurate. I'm Italian so I should know. The trip that Val and her Grandmom take to Italy is beautiful and I felt like I was there with them. Trigiani's descriptions make it easy to picture, and I really must move that trip to Italy up the vacation list. The relationship between Val and her Grandmom is special and I think it's one many granddaughters share with their Grandmoms. I did and it reminded me of my Grandmom whom I miss dearly.

Very Valentine was an enjoyable, lighthearted read, and a great way to escape. I look forward to the follow-up titled, Brava Valentine, and will consider reading Trigiani's back list.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very Valentine.