Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Ashes of Midnight

Ashes of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: pnr, vampires, warriors, books-i-own, books-i-go-rabid-over, author-lara-adrian, keep-a-spare-pair-of-knickers, favorites, read-in-2010, my-hottie-harem
Recommended for: paranormal romance fans and girls who love a tortured hero
Read from October 21 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The charismatic Andreas we all knew and loved from the previous books in the series is pretty much nonexistent in Ashes of Midnight. Although we do see some sparks of the old him. Ruined by the attack on his Berlin darkhaven, Andreas vows to avenge the deaths of his innocent kin. His fury reaches monumental levels and it seems as if nothing will stop him until he kills Wilhelm Roth. His fiery gift of pyrokinesis acts as a great representation of the anger he is experiencing within. Both dangerous and uncontrollable, Andreas must learn to control his temper and his gift.

To be honest, I found it a little difficult to get use the transformation that Andreas makes from the other books to Ashes of Midnight. In the previous books, he is the posterboy for the devil-may- cry attitude. But all of that changes dramatically once he becomes the last living person in his line. His rage and need for vengeance is understandable, but to lose that care-free mind-set that he’s known for seems like such as waste. However, it’s great to see Andreas’ passion once in awhile.

His Breedmate Claire Roth is the perfect match for him. As former paramours, Claire and Andreas share a past that complicates matters greatly. Now that Claire is Roth’s mate, Andreas must fight his attraction to Claire since her blood can betray his presence to Roth. Though Claire has a pretty interesting talent, she doesn’t use her gift to really help anyone. Yes, she tries but all her efforts are epic failures. I didn’t identify with Claire like the other Breedmates. When she used her gift to visit Roth the first time to warn him, I had already written her off. I just couldn’t relate to her. She just seemed so naive and lost.

The romance between Claire and Andreas was a rollercoaster ride. One moment they are cold as ice to one another and in the next moment, they get all hot and heavy. There is no doubt that their relationship is the most complicated and strained of all the others. But I would have liked to see them fall in love for the first time. I felt like half their story was already told by the time Claire and Andreas meet again in Ashes of Midnight.

On another note, we get to see what happens back at the compound in Boston. One of my favourite things about this series is that we continue to see the other characters in each book. The situation with Dragos continues to be a pain in the Order’s behind, but I’m not complaining. Adrian does a remarkable job with integrating the warriors and their Breedmates into the storyline long after their stories are told. I just loved how Renata , Dylan and Claire got to go out during the daytime and do some investigating!

Even if the romance in Ashes of Midnight is a little too hot-and-cold for me, the action that takes place is amazing! Adrian is so skilled in writing her violent action scenes. It kind of makes up for the mediocre romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes of Midnight.

10/21/2010 page 69
20.0% "YES! FINALLY GOT IT IN THE MAILLLLLL!"
10/21/2010 page 69
20.0% ""If you were mine," he murmured low under his breath, "I would walk through the fires of hell itself to keep you away from a man like me."" 21 comments
10/22/2010 page 232
66.0% "Who is your fave techie?

1. Vishious from BDB
2. Gideon from Midnight Breed
3. Torin from Lords of the Underworld" 22 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rhonda From the ones I've read...Hands down V!!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I can't choose! They are all so awesome!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Great review Annie!
You already know how I feel about this one, the 4 stars I gave was based on the action and Andreas love, the romance was meh for me. Such a shame for a guy like Andreas, I love him so much.
And I totally agree on their love story has already been written. We didn't have the chance to see them actually fall in love for the first time.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thank you, Gokce! I felt like Andreas deserved more.I would have liked to see more of how they first fell in love. We get some of that, but not enough for me. Plus, the whole hot for each other one moment and then hate each other the next gets frustrating for me. I was pulling my hair out.

I'd give this maybe a 4.5 because I do like Andreas. Claire is... meh. Though their love scenes are pretty steamy. ;)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yeah, I pretty much felt the same. Claire seemed not so sure of her feelings for Andreas, I mean Andreas' frustration I could understand, with her bonding to his rival and stuff, but Claire was so slow in coming to terms with her feelings and I felt she had no right to do so.
I also didn't think she was much use to anyone either. Even in the end you know?

Oh well, the love scenes are always steamy ;)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I agree. Even when she went out with Renata and Dylan, the only thing keeping her there was her bond to Roth. Apart from that, she was no use. She may be my least favourite out of the Breedmates.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know this sounds weird, but where is Renata's birthmark again?? I can't seem to remember where it is.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Shoot, I have no memory of where it is. I actually only remember where Tess' is cause that whole scene with her drugging Dante after him biting her is branded in my mind, I thought it was dooming and yet so funny :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! I really liked that scene. Tess rocks!

I can't seem to remember if it's even revealed in the book at all. I've been keeping an eye out for that in every book, but for some reason, I missed it in Veil of Midnight!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Hmm, now you got me thinking! I will try and check otherwise I think the mystery might kill me LOL.

Yeah, Tess rocks! I just love her so much and when is she gonna give birth?? She didn't yet, right? I feel like she's been pregnant forever LOL.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I don't think its mentioned in Veil of Midnight at all. I swear I just read it and I have to memory of it. Maybe I missed it completely. Or its mentioned in another book? I'll check too!

I was waiting for her to give birth! She should have popped out that kid by now!LOL I wonder what his name will be?

message 12: by Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) (last edited Oct 25, 2010 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) WAIT! It's XANDER RAPHAEL right? I know I saw it somewhere here...

ANNDD I GOT IT! Renata's birthmark is on the inside of her right wrist.
He held her firmly, his fingers trapping coiled fists in a loose, incredibly warm grasp. his gaze strayed up to their locked hands, fiery light crackling in his irises as he found the little crimson teardrop-and-crescent moon birthmark that rode on the inside of her right wrist. .

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ AH! You saved my mind from a lot of whirling about this Annie! LOL. I think after this I'll never forget now :)

Yeah, I really loved his name and it's been known for ages! But he hasn't arrived yet, poor Tess! I really love the name Raphael so I kinda they hope they use it more often ;)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOl. I must have missed it. That scene was getting pretty steamy...

I wonder when the birth will actually take place. I'm guessing that means there's more books after Chase's because she has to feature little Xander Raphael in the series, right?

Aww, do you think little Mira and him could end up together?

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I really hope she keeps writing. A part of me was pretty depressed to think it was ending.

I'm thinking she'll have the baby in Hunter's book. She was pretty far along the pregnancy in Taken by Midnight and it'd be only fair not to keep her waiting any longer :)

As for Mira and Raphael, hmm, I cannot really say..I do wish to see Mira mated though, I really like her. I can't wait for you to read all the books so far, including Taken by Midnight, then we'll have so much to talk about!!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yeah, I got really scared for a moment when I thought it was all over. Just when I discovered it. I would have been depressed too.

OOh! I hope that's the case. I swear she says in Taken by Midnight that she's just a few weeks away! Getting closer! :D And let's not keep her fans waiting either.:)

LOL.I just think Mira is just so sweet! Whenever I read about her, I always "Aww". Lol.I would LOVE to see her mated. How old is she anyways? like 10?

I'm on it right now! I can finish this in a day or two. I'm lovin Brock and Jenna!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I think Mira's like 12 or something. They might mention her age in Taken by Midnight, I don't know why but I thought they did :)

Yeah me too! I really liked their relationship, I'll wait for your review so we can discuss evrything!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'll keep an eye out on that one. Mira is just so adorable!

I'm breezing through this series so I'll be done in no time at all.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ :) Go Annie!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) IM DONE! OMG OMG sjbgaisjgb SOO GOODDDDDDDDDD

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ OMG YOU HAVE TO WRITE A REVIEW AND I'LL COMMENT THERE!!! :D

Hannah I could not remember if i had read this or not until i read your review. thank you.