Jody's Reviews > Undead and Unwelcome

1909610
Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: series
Read from September 21 to 28, 2010

After the events of Undead and Unworthy (book 7), Betsy finds herself in a tense situation. Returning the body of Antonia the werewolf to her Pack, isn't exactly the Vampire King and Queen's idea of a good time. But politics aren't always fun, so Betsy and Eric head to Cape Cod in attempt to make peace with the Werewolves. While events are unfolding on the Cape, things back home are spiralling out of control for Marc. Laura has slipped a little to the dark side, and without the Vamps around to help him Marc is left with a desperate situation.

The first part of Undead and Unwelcome seems to be mostly a recap of what happened in book 7. There's quite a bit of explaining who all the characters are and an endless amount of retelling the story of Antonias death. Personally, I think by book 8 in the series it's time to stop with the endless exposition. (If people want to get caught up they should read some of the earlier books. Fans already know who everyone is.) Things do pick up in the second half of the book when the story finally starts to move forward, but I wouldn't call this one of the more eventful Betsy stories. And there's a definite lack of character development. Much of the story occurs during internal dialogue from Betsy and Marc, while Sinclair and Jessica barely even have lines. There is some interesting development with BabyJohn, which I enjoyed, but not a lot else happens in this outing.

Definitely one of the slower stories in the Betsy series, I think Undead and Unwelcome would have worked better as a short story with all the repetition cut out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead and Unwelcome.