Sherri Somerville's Reviews > Out of Darkness: The Jeff Healey Story

Out of Darkness by Cindy Watson

4319498
Sep 21, 2010

Five stars for 'Out of Darkness: The Jeff Healey Story' by Cindy Watson.
176 pages/paperback/70 black and white illustrations and sidebars/978-1-55488-706-4

In the introduction, the authors tells us why Jeff Healey's life has a message for us all - "Given up for adoption as a newborn, losing both eyes to a rare form of cancer before his first birthday, suffering the return of cancer as an adult, losing his mother to breast cancer, Jeff Healey could have had all the excuses in the world not to succeed, to give up. But he chose to embrace each day, find the good in life, and squeeze every last drop of its juice to pour out for all of us to enjoy."

Out of Darkness: The Jeff Healey Story is a compelling and inspirational read. Filled with personal stories and interesting tidbits of information, the book is geared toward young adults, but its energetic and informative style still manages to hold the interest of the more mature reader. In these days of greed and self interest run amok, how gratifying it is to learn that Healey could have capitalized on his popularity to pursue ever-greater heights of fame and fortune, but instead he chose to follow his heart and concentrate on jazz, his first love.
If you’re looking for a book to inspire you or your children, this is the one. Every school library should have a copy of this book and every teacher should read aloud from its pages. What better way to teach our children the value of pushing through setbacks in order to achieve a dream? Why not provide kids with the perfect example of a young man who did just that and challenge them to follow his example?
Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Darkness.