Eric Kibler's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Nov 27, 10

Read from November 19 to 26, 2010

Four longer stories.

As I was reading, I was ticking off similarities to older King stories from the past. "1922" reminded me of "Dolores Claiborne". "Big Driver" reminded me of "Rose Madder". "Fair Extension" reminded me of "Quitters, Inc". By the time I got to the last story, I figured out the uneasy theme of this book which sets it apart from the others. Complicity.

Few of us are truly evil, and most of us think of ourselves as good enough people. But how many of us, given the chance to benefit from evil, would take that chance and keep mum? Keep the gravy train running. And how many would go beyond silence into active participation? Many of the characters in this book are given this choice, or have such a choice thrust upon them.

Longtime King fans such as myself probably won't see this as one of his better books. Not because it's not well-written or suspenseful. It is both of those things. But because he does the things he does here better elsewhere. But if you've never delved into King before, this might be a good introduction. It's not too long, the stories are punchy, and it might whet your appetite to go further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris I agree completely. I am most of the way through and you are absolutely right. He does things here he has done better with other titles, but I've been a fan of King's for so long that reading one of his books is like listening to an old friend bend your ear with his stories. You have a good time even though you've heard the stories before.

Eric Kibler I know what you mean. I'm always there whenever he has a book out. The only one I could never bring myself to read was the baseball one.