tee's Reviews > A Visit From The Goon Squad

A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Nov 01, 14

bookshelves: oriana-is-my-book-muse, i-own
Read from July 24 to 25, 2011

This will be the only review on goodreads that doesn't mention the book's powerpoint chapter. Aw man, I already blew it. Well, I didn't like the powerpoint part and I didn't care much for the book either. I seem to have that kind of reaction when a book is super hyped though. I may have liked it a fraction more if I had discovered it on my own and it hadn't been raved about.

I just didn't give a shit about anyone. I started reading and thought, okay this is excellent. I loved the first chapter, Sasha seemed interesting. Then we were torn away from Sasha and suddenly I was reading about someone who wasn't as interesting; mostly because they had interfered with me getting to know somebody else. I hate it when that happens. Then I settled down and was like, okay, let's see what your story is and what you have to say and then it happened again. Except we weren't returned to Sasha's story, we were straight into another disconnected story. Except that was the ~quirky~ thing, right, all the stories are interrelated somehow. They jump from one era to another and bounce from one person's life to another. Everyone sort of knows each other but everyone is pretty boring. On the flip side, the General's publicist story wasn't boring but seemed too far fetched to be feasible and I spend too much time wondering whatthefuck.

I do prefer hearing a story from one or two perspectives in a linear fashion ... or maybe I'm just used to it because I loosened up a little and ended up liking what Egan did. I really love short stories so really, it was like a collection of short stories with a twist. She uses different styles; first person, a journalistic piece, even a second person piece (and like most second person pieces, I found it disconcerting and awkward, though Egan almost pulls it off). She also does an entire chapter in Powerpoint .. what, you haven't heard?! It's true!

I liked the jumps between eras and although she does so much shifting between styles, protagonists, settings and eras .. it never really felt erratic, it always felt grounded and I felt each piece had a lot of depth. I liked how it's all about getting old and becoming decrepit; it's something that I am becoming very familiar with. I spend a lot of time reminiscing and writing about reminiscing and wondering if I've spelt reminiscing correctly. In fact I liked the themes of this book way more than I did the actual book. If I'd been more interested in the characters and/or their stories, I probably would have loved the shit out of this book. But I didn't. I just didn't click with it. Probably through no fault of the author, it's likely all on me.

The book, itself, was a really nice size. I was excited to read it at first because it was like a perfect little brick of pages. The right size physically but also the right length (LOL LIKE A GOOD PENIS I KNOW RIGHT).

----------------

This:

captures what I liked about good squad. Image from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Visit From The Goon Squad.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Oriana this is pretty much all the things I would have said if I weren't too lazy & busy to actually review this book. I'm pretty sure I would have liked it a whole hell of a lot better if she hadn't won the Pulitzer.

message 2: by tee (new) - rated it 2 stars

tee Glad I'm not alone on this one! I wish you weren't so busy, your reviews are rather great.

Oriana you are far too sweet to me!

Mary Aris I agree!

Danielle this is the reason i didnt give the book 5 stars. there was something just TOO spacey about it, something that didnt hit quite true. but overall, i loved it. if i can be entertained by a boring book, it has to be good!