Steph Su's Reviews > The Iron Duke

2010935
Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: own, best-of-11
Read from February 15 to 16, 2011

Oh my gosh. I am head over heels for this book. Besides for being a hot and lingering read, THE IRON DUKE is also a stellar example of steampunk worldbuilding, and is a book that I know I will be returning to for years to come.

THE IRON DUKE is without a doubt the most well written steampunk novel that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. This is steampunk at its finest: an alternate-history England where man and machine cannot live without the other, where Meljean Brook unfolds scene after scene, detail after detail so elegantly one begins to wonder how this world could NOT exist.

Rhys and Mina are a pretty standard romance coupling, particularly Rhys as the dark, damaged, and very male love interest, but it is Mina who steals the show. Mina’s physical differences from most other Londoners ensured that she grew up quickly and does not easily trust people. Her outsider status, even among the people she’s lived with her whole life, captured my sympathies, and I was rooting hard for her the entire time to finally find acceptance and happiness.

THE IRON DUKE does not belong in the genre of books that I usually review, and as a result it’s hard for me to talk about why it’s so good. But mark my very inadequate words: if you like romance, and if you like steampunk, then you can’t get much better than this first book in Meljean Brook’s fascinating new series. I am so buying the next book as soon as it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

02/15/2011 page 208
55.0% "Steampunk! Sexual tension! Ahhhh so good!"
02/15/2011 page 268
71.0% "*nom nom nom*"
02/16/2011 page 378
100.0% "Squeeee."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura You sold me on this!