Leslie's Reviews > A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

1928279
Sep 20, 10

Read in August, 2010

This book by Nevil Shute makes several of the "best books of all time" lists. I had never heard of it, but added it to my list and randomly pulled it it off the shelf one day. It's good. I don't know that I would put it near the top of my favorite books list, but it's good.

The book is hard to explain. It's almost like a series of short stories that are connected by one main character. It follows Jean Paget through London where she receives an inheritance, through Malaysia during the war where she's a prisoner of the Japanese and through Australia where she finds love.

The stories are great. Compelling. They make you want to know more about each of the characters. There's also some interesting detail about the war and oddly, about money management.

But the main point, I think, is that one person can make a big difference in the world. Jean does. Everywhere she goes actually. And it's not because of anything amazing about her. She makes a big difference by caring and by trying. I like that :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Town Like Alice.