Sarah's Reviews > River Marked

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

Dec 26, 11

Read from March 01 to 08, 2011

Cannot wait. I love this series, and I don't think of myself as an Urban Fantasy reader--but I guess I am, since I'm such a fan of Mercy Thompson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Marked.

03/01/2011 "Well, duh, Mercy Thompson is on auto-order. And this one takes place at Maryhill!!! Whoohoo!)"
03/01/2011
15.0% "My ridiculous excitement about this book taking place in the Columbia River Gorge, rather than the Tri Cities has not waned."
03/05/2011
50.0% "The basic plot of RM is that there's a super creepy something in the Columbia River. Which, because there are all kinds of super creepy myths/folktales in the PNW about super creepy somethings in the Columbia, totally is freaking me out."
03/08/2011
82.0% "This is the longest I've taken to finish a book in quite awhile--I have sick brain and keep having to go back a chapter and reread."
03/08/2011
100.0% "Not exactly certain where this fits in the Mercy storyline, but really another awesome book in one of my favorite series. I hate that I'll have to wait another year to hang with these characters again."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Noelle I looooove Mercy Thompson. I was SUCH a snob about Urban Fantasy at first but this series forced me to adjust my attitude. Thanks for reminding me this came out!

Sarah Love, love, love, love Mercy. These were my gateway drug to UF. A lot of garbage out there, but there are some gems. Did I mention I LOVE Mercy Thompson?

Maggie What is Urban Fantasy? And is it in any way related to Hunger Games? ;)

Sarah Urban Fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy (I don't like "high fantasy," which creates a wholly new world). Generally set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. (There is historical UF, too, but it's not my thing.) Urban fantasy generally takes place in cities or towns--honestly, I think it should *always* take place in those types of environments, because the worlds make more sense.

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series is my absolute favorite, but there are a few others I like as well (Jeaniene Frost [adult], Maggie Stiefvater [YA, Shiver/Linger], Caster Chronicles [YA] are the ones I can think of off the top of my head). Usually written in the first-person. Good UF has really excellent world-building (so there's context for the story or else it's just bizarre--a common UF problem), so they are usually at least three books.

Sadly, the genre is largely populated by pretty schlocky stuff (not that there's anything wrong with schlock, sometimes schlock is extremely entertaining, but I don't like UF schlock as much as other schlock).