Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > The Mermaid's Mirror

The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan

Oct 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, from-publisher, for-review, young-adult
Read from September 26 to October 08, 2010

You may have noticed that I tagged this post with both “fantasy” and “realistic”, and that was no mistake. The remarkable thing about this book is that despite the inclusion of mermaids it feels a lot like a realistic, contemporary YA novel for the first three quarters of the book. I really enjoyed this unique feel, so I was disappointed when the mermaid world became the main focus of the story, and the “human world” was left behind.

Perhaps I would have been able to accept the book more if Lena had been a more consistently likeable protagonist. I guess this is realistic, as no one is perfect all the time, but I got annoyed at several decisions she made, especially one which was very selfish and hurtful to those around her. In fact, Lena seemed very out of touch with other people, except for with her little brother Cole, who she cared deeply about. I definitely enjoyed reading about their relationship, as it showed a kinder side of Lena.

I deeply enjoyed the first part of this book, and I was very excited to see where it would go. Unfortunately, the ending fell flat. The part leading up to the epilogue seemed random and had a completely different tone from the rest of the book. The ending lacked real depth and emotion, which were things I appreciated in the first part. I would still recommend this book, especially if you don’t mind a slower paced read, but I wouldn't suggest putting it at the top of your TBR pile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Mirror.

10/02/2010 page 288
86.0% "Really liking it until this last part started. Curious where it will go from here..."