Rane's Reviews > Scandalous Desires

Sep 20, 2010

bookshelves: georgian-era, keeper, historical
Recommended for: fans of The Serpent Prince
Read from October 24 to 26, 2011

Elizabeth Hoyt books are my version of potato chips, I can't get or have enough of them! Hoyt lives up to her great storytelling and the hype with Scandalous Desires.

When we're first introduced to Silence Hollingbrook and "Charming" Mickey O'Connor in the first of the Maiden Lane series, you know there's going to be sparks flying and do they ever between these two.

Mickey is no exception of the great heroes Hoyt has peened down before, he shows that monsters are not born, but are made, and it doesn't mean their not without a heart. Mickey is frozen clean through, with his charming smile to hide behind. His past has made him hard and the pain he faced as a child made him cold to emotions on the pleasure he takes from stealing, causing hell and the woman(or women) that warm his bed. Mickey goes through some major changes that start off very small at first, but the steps lead to uncover the heart he thought he left behind in the grave that was his childhood.
Mickey is beautiful in the way his story was told. Everything is given front and center while not taking away from the rest of the story, in other books your only given clues or glimpse into the hero's tragic past and most don't really cut it in the way they turned out. Compare to Mickey their babies to what he went through and still goes through with his enemy whose part of his past, the Vicar of Whitechapel, whose always in the shadows and out to kill Mickey the first chance he gets.
There was something sensual and deeply sexual about the way Mickey tempted Silence, but it was when he truly opened his soul to her, did he reach that other step that made him divine as a character. Seeing his hidden heart healed by the love of Silence and Mary Darling was precious, as it shows the distance he's come from the cold man to the warm blooded man who will protect and risk everything for those he loves.

As I read (devoured) Scandalous Desires , I couldn't help but compare it to another of Hoyt's books The Serpent Prince. In both books you have the outstanding hero in Mickey and Simon, but what it lacked was a strong heroine. Which I felt both Lucy and Silence were. Silence held alot of promise to be a very strong lead character and one to match wits with someone like Mickey. Sadly for me she ended up just being the path to redemption for Mickey, which I felt was a shame as she held such a bright spark when we first meet her and in the beginning of the book. I wish she carried throughout the book instead of showing up in bursts that quickly dimmed. She does have her own growth from the naive woman to a woman. Her kindness and love is what leads Mickey out of the darkness he trapped himself in.
Silence fit to much into a mold that’s been done before, but perhaps the bright light that was Mickey just couldn’t hold a place for two?

We’re given a huge clue to who the Ghost of St.Giles is and if you’ve been reading this series, you pretty much know who it is, but still comes a great surprise and anticipation to find out about his own story and his lady love.

Hoyt just keeps on writing some amazing books to the Maiden Lane series and Scandalous Desires lives up to the hype that surrounded this couple. Now I gleefuly await in next book in this series! I need my potato chip fix...

"Charming" Mickey O'Connor

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandalous Desires.

10/26/2011
100.0% "pretty good~"
03/27/2016 marked as: read

Kelly22 Great review Rane!...and what is Mickey thinking with that lop-sided smile??!...:P

Rane Kelly22 wrote: "Great review Rane!...and what is Mickey thinking with that lop-sided smile??!...:P"

Thanks Kelly! Ah you never know with Mickey, but I bet it's something naughty! ;P

Kelly22 I understand!:P

Lisa Great review Rane! She answered some fan questions today on FB about the upcoming books. Two more at least after the next one but not Asa's story yet so I guess whatever he does will continue to be a mystery for a bit yet.

Anne OK Enjoyed reading your review Rane! I am loving the Maiden Lane Series and SCANDALOUS DESIRES is the best yet! Hoyt is such a talented and clever writer.

Rane Lisa wrote: "Great review Rane! She answered some fan questions today on FB about the upcoming books. Two more at least after the next one but not Asa's story yet so I guess whatever he does will continue to b..."

Thank you Lisa! Hm, curious to know what Asa is all about, perhaps more clues will be shed in the next book?

Rane AnneOK wrote: "Enjoyed reading your review Rane! I am loving the Maiden Lane Series and SCANDALOUS DESIRES is the best yet! Hoyt is such a talented and clever writer."

Thank you Anne!This series just gets better and better, like fine wine ;D

Lisa I hope so! I thought his book might be next after Thief but she said this online: Next after Winter in THIEF OF SHADOWS, is Godric St. John in LORD OF DARKNESS, then Maximus, Duke of Wakefield in DUKE OF MIDNIGHT

Rane Lisa wrote: "I hope so! I thought his book might be next after Thief but she said this online: Next after Winter in THIEF OF SHADOWS, is Godric St. John in LORD OF DARKNESS, then Maximus, Duke of Wakefield in ..."

I'm looking forward to Winter's and very happy to see that Godric will get his HEA, I felt heartbroken for him in WI T_T

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Me too! I'm happy to see she seems to be sticking with this series for a little bit! Lots of good characters coming up :)

message 11: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Great review!

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Kristen wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you Kristen! :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Lovely review and lovely picture, Rane!

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Lovely review and lovely picture, Rane!"

*hugs* Thanks Danielle!

Lisa Kay Oh, great review, Rane! Love your pic too. I have this planned as a "buddy read" for the day after Christmas, but everyone is finding it very hard to wait to open 'til then.

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, great review, Rane! Love your pic too. I have this planned as a "buddy read" for the day after Christmas, but everyone is finding it very hard to wait to open 'til then."

Thank you Lisa!
*LOL* Yeah, it's a hard book "not" to read! You just hold it in your hands and the urge to read just comes on you! ;D

Audrey I just finished this, and I TOTALLY agree - was comparing it to "The Serpent Prince" myself.

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Audrey wrote: "I just finished this, and I TOTALLY agree - was comparing it to "The Serpent Prince" myself."

Simon and Mickey really took over the whole of the book with the heroines just being more of side characters

Audrey Yes, agreed. Thank goodness I <3 Mickey so much! :)

But yeah...Silence, while nice enough in her narrative, didn't have nearly the impact or punch that I would want for Mickey's counterpart.

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane (view spoiler)

Silence kinda lost her punch she had in other books and in the beginning and ended up being kinda meh

Audrey Yeah...those gals needed to man up for their men!

message 22: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Audrey wrote: "Yeah...those gals needed to man up for their men!"

If they can't, we can! *grins*